Sunday, June 22, 2008

How to Post a Link

A commenter has asked how to post a link. Well, let's say I wanted to link to a popular news and politics blog such as Hot Air. When I put the link in my post, instead of the web address, you'll see a highlighted word or sentence, for example: Check this out. Click on it and you're taken to the web site I linked to. What this actually looks like in code is:

<"a href=http://hotair.com/>Check this out<"/a>

Note: the quotation marks are just so that you can see the code for the purposes of this example; you don't actually type them in when you're linking.

All you have to do is copy the web address and plug it into the formula (plus use a word or sentence that appears in lieu of the actual url, such as "Check this out", or "Look at this idiot", etc).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if you posted a link to the page you were already on? My bet is that it'd create a recursive loop that would eventually consume all time and space.

Cool! I gotta try that out!

Anonymous said...

Too late, Steve!

Anonymous said...

Damn, now I can't navigate away from this page... obviously what's going to happen is the entire internet will eventually be drawn to this page, unable to leave. Okay, everybody keep calm... how did they deal with this on The Next Generation? I hope it didn't involve Wesley Crusher.

RebeccaH said...

That's called a black hole, Steve. And the present universe thanks you a whole bunch.

Anonymous said...

Now you've done it...

Minicapt said...

You'll be fine ...

Cheers