Monday, August 25, 2008

Assortment

1) Captain Heinrichs discovers a cool marketing gimmick.

2) Real Jeff sends along this political stress buster:

HOW TO START EACH DAY WITH A POSITIVE OUTLOOK

a. Open a new file in your computer.

b. Name it 'Barack Obama'.

c. Send it to the Recycle Bin.

d. Empty the Recycle Bin.

e. Your PC will ask you: 'Do you really want to get rid of 'Barack Obama?'

f. Firmly Click 'Yes.'

g. Feel better?

(Editor: I sure do!)

3) Via The Scribbler's Pen (in fact, there are so many good things over there today, you ought to visit and just keep scrolling):



4) So it's Joe Biden, eh? Dan Riehl has a little something for you to chew on.

Update: Don't miss Zombietime's photo foray among the true believers.

Update II: We had a great trip to North Carolina, and a visit to one of my favorite used bookshops paid off handsomely. I found a book entitled Boswell's Column, a compilation of 70 essays that James Boswell wrote for The London Magazine between 1777 and 1783 under the pseudonym The Hypochondriack; this volume represented the first publication in England of the essays in book form. I also found a collection of Inspector Maigret stories (Maigret's Christmas) by Georges Simenon, which, as the title suggests, are centered on a holiday theme. BTW, if you haven't seen the Granada TV series starring Michael Gambon as Inspector Maigret, you don't know what you're missing!

Update III: I'm not watching the Democratic Convention coverage, but if I hear of something interesting developing, I'll no doubt put up a wise-ass post. It'll be tough for the Dems to top that exciting moment at the 2000 convention, anyway; you remember, when Tipper Gore was bitten by a rattlesnake on her tongue and Al had to suck the poison out?


UpdateIV: Basic theme of the Democratic Convention so far? Earth is doomed if Obama isn't elected.



Update V: Joe Biden claims to have been "shot at" on a trip he made to Baghdad . Ummm...No, not really. (H/T to Don Surber)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The perfect post to set me off laughing before a day's work. (I might just steal that recycle idea for those who annoy me at work)

Anonymous said...

The "recycle bin" thing is, appropriately enough, a recycled early BDS meme.

Anonymous said...

They're doing a piece on Ted Kennedy now, with many pictures of Teddy sailing on a yacht that probably cost more than all of Cindy McCain's houses put together.

Retread

Paco said...

Retread: I had read that the "Ancient Mariner" was going to show up. Which is good; every time Kennedy speechifies, it helps to fire up the conservative base.

kc said...

Can't bear to watch OR listen. Too much chance something like that damn Gore thing will happen again - or Teddy the Fat will show up - and I am fresh out of PeptoBismol.

I got hooked, however, on Lileks' blogging his little adventure in the Pepsi Pavilion! THAT is the way to follow a convention!

Anonymous said...

Teddy gave a speech that was mostly about Obama and 'passing the torch' from the Kennedy dynasty to Obama. It hit the usual Democratic talking points, but when he mentioned health care it was it was ironic, and sad given his condition.

It wasn't a particularly good speech but accomplished its' purpose, to help make this about Obama. The emotional response was about what you'd expect - deafening.

I'm not sure he'll last much past the election though he promised to be present in January for Obama's inaugural.

Retread

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was in the Green Zone for several days in January 2005, and was near a couple car bombings, assorted small arms fire, and a single mortar round (about 200 meters off).

I hereby offer my services to the DNC as an alternate VP candidate, in case Biden wimps out. My military service will complement Obama's nicely.

Anonymous said...

Y'know, here in the Sydney suburbs we had quite a 'Chicago' fan club going in the early 70's, starting with the magnificent 'II' with blue-steel cover, then backtracking to 'CTA', but I was always intrigued by the 'the whole world's watching' chant starting one song, which I think was the 1968 Dem Convention.

RebeccaH said...

I couldn't watch the Democratic Convention circus if you put a gun to my head (and probably not the Republican one either). But because you intrepid types are willing to do so, thankfully I don't have to.

Can't wait to see Zombie's report on the Big Demo.