Monday, January 19, 2009

The Dog Ate My W-2

Byron York relates the rather astonishing information that Timothy Geithner, Obama's nominee for U.S. Treasury secretary, has no explanation at all for not paying his taxes.

I call this "astonishing" because, with all of the lead time this guy has had, he should have been able to come up with something. I mean, it might not be particularly plausible, but no explanation at all? Tax form dyslexia...sudden onset of rare condition known as April amnesia..."I was waiting so I could pay the higher, patriotic tax rates that Obama and Biden have promised"...something, dude.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ummmm... taxes? You mean I'm supposed to pay taxes? Why was I not informed? Does anyone else have to pay these... what was the word again? Oh, yes, taxes?"

Reminds me of the exchange in Duck Soup during Chico's espionage trial, that went somehting like this:

"Hey, I have an uncle who lives in taxes!"

"No, I'm talking about taxes! Dollars!"

"That's where he lives! Dallas, Texas!"

SwampWoman said...

Well, the truth is that he didn't pay them because he didn't think he was going to get caught.

Anonymous said...

And y'all laughed at Edwards' "Two Americas".

Just a simple question(do I have any other kind?). If Obama keeps this guy, would it fit into the "jobs saved" category?

Anonymous said...

Dang! That was the Yojimbo. Sorry.

RebeccaH said...

Why make up an excuse when you know nobody's going to do anything about it anyway?

richard mcenroe said...

I herein rehash my post of 1/17

Obey the law. Pay your taxes.

Then stamp and address a second envelope, insert a handwritten note reading only "I forgot" -- nothing else -- and mail it to the same PO Box you mailed your tax payment to.'

They have to open Every. One. By.Hand. and inspect them when the scanner won't pass them.

TW: comag -- a timeshare in a Smith and Wesson...