Tuesday, January 20, 2009

So Long, Mr. President, and Thank You

I like George Bush, and I believe he did the right thing in Afghanistan and Iraq; the alternatives (Gore, Kerry) are so scary that I don't like to think about them. I have seen no president in my lifetime who has been on the receiving end of so much vitriolic abuse - not even Nixon - and it represents a need for the kind of genuine change in people's attitudes, outlook and knowledge that is not likely to happen in the environment of hero worship that surrounds the new president, where millions of budding cultists are even now demonstrating an astonishing level of ignorance (and, in too many cases, a loathsome lack of good manners). I wish Obama well, to the extent that his success may genuinely coincide with what is objectively good for our country and our society; but whether he fares well or poorly, I would not wish on him the frothing hatred that has motivated so many of George Bush's detractors.

The Anchoress has a nice tribute to President Bush.

Update: Obama says we must "Pick Ourselves Up." Hey, the administration has its new theme song!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

President Bush is a gentleman and a CLASS ACT. Lord knows I had plenty of trouble with his domestic policy but I will always be very appreciative of his stand on the GWOT. No matter what the left says, we face a grave threat in this country and he kept us as safe as humanly possible. That was his historic job and he did it. God bless you.

On a lighter note, I bet all of the "O" keys on the typewriters are still in place.

Anonymous said...

Even at the end, when he was shamed and chivvied into resignation, the media still referred to him as "the President" or "President Nixon".

Pretty much nobody else did, though.

Minicapt said...

http://www.mission1accomplished.com/
... via Ace of Spades ...

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Our future is inextricably bound to BHO, so we must all wish him success and say God Bless America.
Janet Albrechtsen has (again!) zero'd in on the big issue, albeit one which I have ranted about many times: Are Journalists News Presenters Or Political Players?
Excellent Article.
(the excellence of her articles can be measured by the huge and froth-flecked bites from the carpet made by various commenters; not mediated, I assume)