Sunday, March 15, 2009

Facebook? No, Thanks

I'm indifferent to the concept myself, but I admire Matt Labash's well-reasoned opposition and uncompromising hostility, and he's probably right in supposing that the provenance of this technological phenomenon is evidence of its perniciousness: "...no matter how long I live, no matter how much pressure is exerted, no matter how socially isolated I become, I will never, ever join Facebook, the omnipresent online social-networking site that like so many things that have menaced our country (the Unabomber, Love Story, David Gergen) came to us from Harvard..."

6 comments:

rinardman said...

"He concedes that Facebook is a place that turns adults into teenage girls."

That is exactly what I have suspected, and exactly why I, too, have zero interest in Facebook. Teenage girls have a strong desire to be accepted by anyone and everyone, even almost total strangers! Not me.

While I see the usefulness of the internet, I think the day is coming when a lot of people will wish to have their privacy back.

Anonymous said...

I've kept my INTERNET surfing down to commenting on blogs. That's enough for me, thankyouverymuch.

Mikael said...

Next year Facebook will be sooo yesterday.

Why anyone can be bothered with it is beyond me.

Paco said...

"While I see the usefulness of the internet, I think the day is coming when a lot of people will wish to have their privacy back."

Indeed. I think the thing is to find ways to reduce peoples' access to us.

missred said...

my daughter asked me to join facebook but i dont post
i use it to find out what she is really doing rather than what she may want to tell me ;)
sometimes i would rather not know

Paco said...

missred: I know exactly what you're talkin' about. Sometimes it's better not to know.