Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Natural

In view of the President’s controversial pitch at the All-Star game last night, I thought it might be interesting to return to the Field of Dreams and see what some of the old-timers had to say.

Ted Williams: “Well, if we’d had more pitchers like that when I was around, I’d never have hit .400; on the other hand, I probably would have tripled my total for walks.”

Lefty Gomez: “He knows this is a baseball game, right? Not an egg toss?”

Bobo Newsome: “Hell, Monty Stratton pitched better than that after he had his leg amputated.”

Casey Stengel: “So, I still see that nobody here knows how to play this game.”

4 comments:

Irobot said...

What, no comment from Ty Cobb?

richard mcenroe said...

I saw that pitch. Now I understand cricket. Go for the ankles.

richard mcenroe said...

"That man never paid for my gas or fixed my mortgage."-- Satchel Paige

Yojimbo said...

"Hell, Monty Stratton pitched better than that after he had his leg amputated." Heck, James Stewart pitched better than that playing the guy who pitched better than that after he had his leg amputated.

Heck, Ronald Reagan pitched better than that playing a guy* who pitched better than that when he took the mound directly from "happy hour" ever four days.

*That would be Grover Cleveland Alexander for all you young whipper snappers who are too young to remember movies like that.