Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Well, Dash My Haber!

Via an email from the estimable Smitty, Chief Operating Officer of The Other McCain, comes the news that one Richard Quest, a CNN correspondent, recently reported that the pinstriped suit is in decline because of the association in the public mind between pinstripes and bankers (who are currently going through one of those periodic historical moments during which they figure as enemies of the people, fit only for extermination). He cites a survey of Savile Row tailors that backs him up.

Well, if the public thinks that, then (to borrow from Dickens) the public is an ass! Pinstripes have been worn by men in all professions throughout the history of the suit. I, myself, just received a shipment of three new suits from my tailor, one of which is a double-breasted, BROWN pinstripe (yes, I used italicized caps, Mr. Quest, and I meant it to sting; your old saw about not wearing "brown in town" is the cry of the fashion reactionary). I guarantee, when I don this suit, catch the Metro to Washington, and stroll into my office, that by the time I get to my desk I will have received at least three compliments on the striking dapperness of my attire from perfect strangers. True, the compliments will probably be uttered by three older women whom I remind of their late husbands, back in the giddy months following VJ-Day, but so what? Such as they are the keepers of the sartorial flame.

Oh, and Mr. Quest - if that really is your name - I have hats that cost more than the suit you were wearing during that televised report.


Timely fashion, or timeless elegance? I know which one I would choose.

9 comments:

Mr. Bingley said...

I just bought myself a pinstripe suit!

I will not be kept down!

kc said...

Pfft on the opinions of people who get paid to voice opinions. Real Men Wear Pinstripes!

Paco said...

Hear, hear, Bingley! Bravo, KC!

Anonymous said...

Grandpa Turner, the Schoolteacher had at least one pinstripe suit, that I remember.
Pixie's Great Uncle

Carol said...

As I'm sure you know, there is something incredibly virile about a man in a pin striped suit. Yum.

That aside, as a banker, Quest can kiss my over ample ass.

Boy on a bike said...

I always thought a chalk stripe was more in line with what banker's wore. I had to throw mine out a few years ago, after it "shrunk" (or I grew too much).

I miss that suit.

RebeccaH said...

Mr. H still has a lovely charcoal suit with blue pinstripes. He looked sharp in it. Unfortunately, he lost so much weight he couldn't possibly wear it now, even if we ever went anywhere anymore that required a suit.

cac said...

Seriously conflicted over this one. On the one hand, pin stripes, absolutely. On the other, well I'm afraid as regards the colour I'll have to be put in the fashion reactionary pile.

However, there is hope. I can only assume that at this very moment Spurgeon is preparing some sort of wodehousian plot which will result in the master having to burn his brown pinstripes or give them to the poor and thus be saved from his own misguided impulses. Perhaps you can write it up for us?

Paco said...

cac: My dear fellow! You've been working in the garden under the blazing afternoon sun without a straw hat again, haven't you?

It is one thing for Jeeves to burn Bertie Wooster's banjo. Perfectly justified, in my view. But for Spurgeon to give Paco J. Packington's brown pinstriped suits to...the poor? Why, the shot's simply not on the board, old top!