Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Paco’s Diary

Last week, one of my agency’s highly-placed executive officers – an Obama appointee – wanted to schedule a meeting to discuss a particular issue (the issue in question isn’t really important to the story, except insofar as it was something very basic of which she was still in ignorance after being here for more than a year). She scheduled a meeting, and then rescheduled it three more times over two days. When we finally nailed down a time, I trooped up to her office with a couple of other interested parties. We all sat down, and I had not completed my first sentence when she abruptly turned to her flunkey and asked, “Wait. Isn’t the President giving his speech now?” The flunkey informed her that he was. She then turned to us as she rose from her chair and said, “Sorry to have to cut you off, but I really should watch this on TV. I’ll call you later to reschedule.” At least I wasn’t preempted by an old rerun of Law and Order.

* * * *

For most of the day, sitting in my office catty-cornered from the White House, I have been distracted by loud and emotional speeches emanating from Lafayette Park. Investigation revealed that the commotion was due to a large group of Orthodox Jews protesting against Israel, of all things. I was vaguely aware that certain Orthodox groups opposed Zionism, but had to look into the matter a little further to ascertain why. Apparently, some (surely not all?) Orthodox Jews disavow Zionism, at least as manifested in the idea of the modern Israeli state, on theological grounds; they believe that Zionism is forcing God’s hand or something. Informed readers please feel free to enlighten me further on this matter. As for my own beliefs, I continue to be a Catholic Zionist, steadfast in my support of Israel and committed to the idea that America and Israel should maintain a strong alliance. If this means a new U.S. president in 2012…well, I, for one, am certainly willing to make the “sacrifice”.

* * * *

Today’s Chuck Norris fact: Chuck Norris enjoys a good practical joke. His favorite is where he removes your lower intestine and makes a balloon animal out of it.

10 comments:

JeffS said...

At least I wasn’t preempted by an old rerun of Law and Order.

Knowing the quality of most Obama appointees, it might have been a rerun of "Gilligan's Island".

ck said...

It seems to me that at least a third of the Jewish community is always lobbying for their own extermination.See Germany, 1930's.

RebeccaH said...

Certain ultra-Orthodox Jewish groups believe Israel should have been reconstituted by the hand of God, not by the United Nations. They are, I like to believe, in the minority, but they are distressingly vocal, especially inside Israel (see various Israeli religious laws concerning conversion, marriage, and citizenship). I've yet to discern how they can enjoy the protections of the Jewish state and yet agitate against it without drowning in their own hypocrisy, but I figure God loves everyone equally.

As for your do-nothing political appointee, I hesitate to ask (and other administrations being equal, I never would have bothered) but is she an ethnic minority, i.e. African-American? I ask because I'm trying to determine just how many of Obama's appointees are. Two years ago, I would have considered such questions borderline racist. Today, I think they are legitimate.

RebeccaH said...

Also, I've been wondering about the recent digestive problems. C. Norris has a lot to answer for.

Paco said...

Rebecca: She is not a racial minority; she is, however, the daughter of a cabinet secretary from the Clinton administration.

Minicapt said...

After the speech, did she mention the release of any Chakra? Or was she content to be uplifted, edified, and intellectually simulated?

Cheers

Anonymous said...

First you're made to endure the arrogance of this Progressive, then left off the list of bloggers. You're an man of steel , Paco. That's "steel" with two "e"s, not three.

In a recent Jewish Journal, a rabbi was basically repeating the steps in the ghetto that led to the railway by suggesting that Israel should try to be more understanding of the plight of the Palestinians. Her "kumbayah" approach made me wonder if she would have explored the mindset of the Nazis.

Deborah Leigh

Paco said...

Thanks, Deb. "Man of steel". That explains the rust spots, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Also explains any clanking you might hear...?

JeffS said...

Being a "man of steel" would explain his magnetic personality, Deborah!