Saturday, October 16, 2010

Proudly goin' to Home Depot

So, I'm sitting at the computer at thirty minutes past midnight, in my regulation blogger pajamas, just doing some last minute checks before going to bed, and the front doorbell rings. Strange. So strange, in fact, that I reach into a drawer and pull out my Sterling .25 caliber semi-automatic pistol (note to self: move one of your big-caliber pieces downstairs). I peek through one of the blinds. It's dark and very windy, can't see a thing. I go upstairs and look out of a window. No activity, no car in the driveway, nothing. I trade Black Pete for Shiny Sal (my Ruger Police Service Six .38 Special), and figure I'll go out and have a look-see. Mrs. Paco says no, I don't want you fooling around outside at 12:30 am (Mrs. Paco's motto: Guns don't kill people; sleepy middle-aged men stumbling around in the dark do - usually themselves, by accident). I set the house alarm, lay the revolver on the night-table where I can get it in a hurry, and turn in. Was it the wind? A sudden change in temperature? A short in the wiring? Don't know.

This morning, I go outside, push the doorbell - and the thing gets stuck. Inside the house, there's no ringing, but a steady buzz in the internal unit. Mrs. Paco finds the right breaker, cuts the juice off to the sound-box, and says we probably need to go to Home Depot and buy a new unit.

Which is a long, circuitous way of saying that when I go to Home Depot today, I'll take special pleasure in doing so, because co-founder Ken Langone, in this WSJ editorial, has come out swinging against Obama and his anti-business rhetoric.

9 comments:

Steve Burri said...

Around here mountain lions are known to ring doorbells, hide, and lie in wait. Their heavy paws usually damage the switch. too. Home Depot does a thriving doorbell switch business up here.

Paco said...

That's exactly what I figured, so next time I plan on going out on the porch with my Marlin .30/.30 lever-action.

JorgXMcKie said...

Well, Home Depot began to seriously suck when they brought in that suckwad CEO who fired all the staff who knew anything. [At least that's how it played out around here.] I started going to Lowe's almost exclusively.

Now I guess I'll have to give HD another look.

It was a good editorial, too.

JorgXMcKie said...

Oh, and I kinda prefer the 12 gauge Persuader, but I were contact lenses, so at night I can't see so well. I can hear pretty good, though,
;->=

Paco said...

JorgX: I think a 12 ga. is also acceptable. I just don't want to shoot the L.C. Smith unless I have to; it's kind of a collector's item, now.

Minicapt said...

You should get some proper firepower: http://www.strathconas.ca/images/asqn/apr08/1739.gif

Cheers

Yojimbo said...

350,000 jobs!!
Oh really!!
Explain yourself mister!!

Everyone knows that a waiter only has a job because some rich guy is allowed to keep TOO MUCH money.
Jobs to build massive, massive sailboats only exist because some greedy person denied some government entity(blessings be upon it) its proper share.

It's a zero sum game out there pal! So how many women, children and minorities were impoverished just so you could have your 350,000 jobs? We want names mister!

Minicapt said...

For Yojimbo: http://www.babynames.com/

Cheers

Yojimbo said...

Heh!