Sunday, February 27, 2011

Gun joy!

My Ruger SR40 came in last weekend, but because of some big gun shows that were going on down in Richmond, the state police had a huge backlog. As usual when Mrs. Paco and I head down to Virginia Arms in Manassas, we made a day of it, going to the local mall and doing some shopping, having lunch, gassing up the venerable Suburban. When we returned to the store, however, we found, to our dismay, that the paperwork was still in the queue. This gave me even more time to look around, and frankly I'm glad it worked out that way. I had been thinking about making a future purchase of a Mossberg J.I.C. pump-action, but pump-actions, in the hands of the unknowledgeable (or the unwary), can be tricky things, plus there's a certain amount of take-down required when you clean the things. So, while Mrs. Paco engaged one of the employees in conversation ("What's that thingy on the end of the rifle that looks a little like a potato-peeler?") I wandered around the store, perusing the inventory, and I found what, for me, is a perfectly acceptable alternative to a pump-action: a Stoeger coach gun. Manufactured in Brazil, it is a short, double-barreled 12 ga., with an attractive walnut stock and extra-wide fore-grip. The background check never did get done last Saturday, but it was completed early this past week and we went back yesterday and picked the guns up.

Here's the Ruger SR40: a .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol that comes with two 15-round magazines. Regular readers will know (or suspect) that my knowledge of the high and ghostly science of gun technology is very limited, which has always predisposed me in favor of the ease and simplicity of revolvers. But the recent clamoring by some of the usual gun-control crowd for a 10-round magazine limit, although not likely to get traction, induced me to get a high-capacity pistol - just in case. I like Ruger, for both quality and price, and I think this one is going to work out nicely (don't forget to click to enlarge).



When I got the Stoeger home, I was somewhat alarmed, upon opening the box, to find that it had been broken down: barrels and fore-grip over here, stock and action over there. Fortunately, the instructions for reassembly were clear, and the process was simple and straightforward. It's a solid, tight little weapon.

11 comments:

Steve Burri said...

OK, guys, we are canceling our plan to burgle Paco's house and steal some books from his library. But, the CIA headquarters is still on.

JeffS said...

Yep, those are good firearms!

Ruger makes fine, mid-range pistols. I never have handled one of their automatics, but from what I've read, yours is a great buy.

Now, the coach gun is an EXCELLENT choice for the novice. I prefer a pump action myself, but you are correct, handling one takes a bit of practice. But the classic double barreled shotgun? 'Tis simplicity unto itself! Reloading is very simple.

However, if you have more than two zombies to shoot, though, your day might be going downhill...

JeffS said...

PS:

When will you hit the range?

richard mcenroe said...

Just remember, all guns, revolvers, semi's or freaking muzzle-loaders, are ALWAYS loaded when you handle them. NEVER pick one up without clearing and visually inspecting it -- magazine well and chamber -- and NEVER put one away or even down out of your sight for any length of time without doing the same drill.

richard mcenroe said...

JeffS -- hitting the range is a good start, but we have GOT to get him hitting the targets eventually... maybe the birdshot will help.

Paco said...

Jeff: I'll keep the L.C. Smith as a backup (that plus the Stoeger is good for at least four zombies).

Richard: I'm pretty sure I can hit the range if I stand close enough to it.

JeffS said...

Just remember, Paco, I did not mean the KITCHEN range.

Mrs. Paco will thank you for that. And me.

Mr. Bingley said...

I just love how you bought some furniture to match the shotgun; that is a sign of proper breeding.

Paco said...

Bingley: Yes, I have to admit, the Stoeger looks better there than a flat-black pump-action.

mojo said...

Shotgun loads: I like goose T's instead of double-0 buckshot. Less background penetration, and the steel T's make nasty wound tracks. You do lose a little range, though.

Paco said...

Mojo: With this baby, for home defense, I'm thinking very short range.