Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nice one

I finally - finally - got to take possession of my Uberti New Model Russian top-break revolver yesterday. Here she is (click to enlarge; click twice to really enlarge):



This is a reproduction of the modified S&W Schofield top-break that was sold to the Imperial Russian Army in the 1870s (with some modern tweaks - notably an extractor that pulls the bullets out when you break the gun open - like so:



The purchase of this gun has been an agony of waiting. I ordered it at the same time that I ordered a Ruger .40 caliber pistol. The top-break was back-ordered, and it was supposed to take about a month to come in; however, it came in earlier than expected, and when I got a call from the gun shop, I headed down to pick it up - completely forgetting that, since I had taken possession of the Ruger two weeks previously, I couldn't take the Uberti home for at least another two weeks. I had run afoul of Virginia's 30-day rule: you can only buy one hand gun a month (unless you have a concealed-carry permit, which I don't, but certainly intend to get now). I went down to Virginia Arms last weekend to get the Uberti - the requisite time having elapsed - but the background check, once again, was taking forever, so I made arrangements to pick up the revolver yesterday.

And now, at last, I have it! It's an elegant weapon and a fine piece of craftsmanship. It's chambered for the .44 Russian caliber, a low velocity "cowboy" load which gave me some pause, at first, because I was wondering about the general availability of this offbeat load; however, the ever-trusty Sportsman's Guide has the ammo in stock, so I've ordered a healthy supply.

Can't wait to take this one - and my Stoeger coach gun - down to North Carolina the next time I visit Ma Paco, and start makin' some serious noise out on her homemade firing range.

12 comments:

JeffS said...

SUH-weeeeet!!!!!!

Yojimbo said...

All's well that ends well. I just made that up.:)

My grandfather had a similar pistol in .32 that had to be around the same period, although his was much shorter, probably around five inches or so total. I broke it open just before I moved here to discover it loaded with shells from around a hundred years ago! Don't know what make it is.

Paco said...

YoJ: The original Schofield was manufactured in a variety of calibers. Maybe it's one of those?

JeffS said...

By the way, Paco, if you haven't already, pick up a recoil pad for your coach gun. ESPECIALLY if you're firing double aught.

And hold that sucker rock hard; she kicks like an angry mule!

TW: ancest. No, I didn't join my ancestors, but now I know how they felt firing a blunderbuss.

Paco said...

Thanks for the advice, Jeff.

Nashville Beat said...

In the immortal words of Emil Antonowsky, "I LIKE IT!"*

*Spoken by a minor character in the film RoboCop after he fires a purloined Cobra Assault Cannon.

Yojimbo said...

Thanks, Pacosan. After doing some research I think it is an Iver Johnson.

Minicapt said...

So, based of the shade of blueing, would you call it a "Black Russian"?

Cheers

richard mcenroe said...

Mother Paco: "Consarn it, younker, you expectin' the Creek to rise agin?"

Let me know if you find it a comfortable shoot. I looked at the S&W topbreaks but I thought the reach was a bit much for my thumb.

Also, I remember an article on the Russian in Guns of the Old West that had some sweet leather for it: it might be available through the SASS.com website.

Yojimbo, S&W made a pockete model in .32 and .38 S&W. Did it have a grip safety? An external hammer?

Or it could be a Harrington & Richardson.

Anonymous said...

She sure is pretty, Paco. Congrats!

All this talk makes me want to head to the range tonight. Sure wish we had the time.

Deborah Leigh

Yojimbo said...

Thanks, Richard. I'll look into that. Don't remember seeing an "owl" on the left side just above the grip either.

Ghecea said...

Thanks, Pacosan. After doing some research I think it is an Iver Johnson.