Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Ah, they like their cricket down under!

Oh, wait. Crickets, you say?
"Eating insects is a fairly new concept," said Blackburn, who runs The Green Scorpion and bug shop, a Sydney-based online venture that sells the creatures for human and animal consumption, as well as for collections.

"On Father's Day we sold a lot of gift packs, which included chocolate covered bugs, choc-chip mealworm cookies and flavored lollipops with bugs in the center."
Thanks, but I actually do prefer a necktie for Father’s Day.
(H/T: Mrs. Paco)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to burst his self-important little bubble, but mankind has been eating bugs since...well, since mankind has been in existence.

Paco said...

Not me! (And please don't bring up the subject of peanut butter).

rinardman said...

Sorry, but if we were meant to be eating bugs, cows would've never been invented.

*

JeffS said...

I ate a bug once. Well, sort of. While a child, a bee flew up my nose, and I coughed it out my mouth; it went flying that away!

Does that count?

bruce said...

Live in Australia, flies just fly in your mouth - which is why we talk mostly thru our noses - bugs seem to want to be eaten anyway - 'eat me now!'

Was at a nearby cave last week, aborigines lived in these up to 10k years ago, maybe more - rugged steep terrain, lots of trees, what did they eat? Lots of grooves for sharpening stone axes, to cut open trees, for grubs, but also possums.

mojo said...

I had dinner at the Explorer's Club in NYC once - menu included Rhinoceros steak, with chocolate-covered Puerto Rican Cave Cockroaches as a snack.

The Rhino wasn't bad. Little gamey, though.

RebeccaH said...

I swallowed a fly once. It flew right in my mouth while I was mowing the grass, and I was so startled, I swallowed it. I had nightmares about parasites for months.

Minicapt said...

Do crickets, when properly prepared, make a topping similar to Peanut Butter?

Cheers