Sunday, October 23, 2011

Those wacky chemists!

Happy Mole Day!

BTW, I don't know what moles have to do with avocados. We had several avocado trees when we lived in Miami, and the squirrels would sometimes get in amongst the fruit, but I never saw any moles up there. And speaking of avocados, they've got to be the blandest fruit in the world, although the ones we grew in Miami were almost the size of footballs, and people who like 'em said they were delicious. Oh, there's the phone, hold on a minute.

"Hello? Yeah, this is Paco. Well, Michael Lonie! How you doin', you old egg head, you? What's that? It's not about that kind of mole? And it doesn't have anything to do with avocados? Avogadro's number? Oh, ok. I'll get this sorted out. Thanks.

Yes, operator? Can you connect me with 602-1023? Fella by the name of Avogadro. He's got some 'splainin' to do!"


Update: Ok, this is indisputably about avocados: "Avocado thief banned from having more than 10 at a time".

14 comments:

Nashville Beat said...

Congratulations. That is the most obscure event I have seen reference to in the past year . . . possibly the past decade.

rinardman said...

I would make some relevant, pithy remark; but I'm running late for the local Mole Day parade.

JeffS said...

Don't worry much when you hear someone ask for moleskin.

Paco said...

Nash: Next year, we should all exchange Mole Day gifts!

bruce said...

Off the top of my head:

Whack-a-mole
Guacamole

But I've never heard of this before and really have no idea. And yes we do know how to pronounce the 'e' on the end of guacamole down here, even though our PM says 'hyperbowl'.

bruce said...

I always thought advocados were named after lawyers.

Paco said...

Bruce: I think you're right.

RebeccaH said...

Mmmm, guacamole.

And then there's mole poblano... what? Oh, wait, a chemistry unit? And they have a holiday for it? What do they eat?

Paco said...

For Mole Day next year, I'd like a mahogany periodic dining room table.

Minicapt said...

JJ Angleton was very much against moles.

http://www.element-collection.com/html/coffee_table.html

Cheers

Michael Lonie said...

"Nash: Next year, we should all exchange Mole Day gifts!"

I could use a mole of gold, Paco.

Isophorone said...

6.02 x 10^23 is the total theoretical number of avocados that can be eaten by all the moles in the world.

Paco said...

Isophorone: I knew it!

missred said...

silly me, i thought you were talking about mole sauce. afterall you did mention avocados, which i find very tasty. but then with the amount of spicy food i eat, dont trust my taste buds!