Wednesday, January 11, 2012

An American institution

Daniel Flynn has written an interesting article on Ray Bradbury. This particularly stood out:
Liberals attracted to a writer who took out a full-page advertisement in Variety after the 1952 elections to blast Joseph McCarthy, Dwight Eisenhower, and the Republican Party should be thoroughly horrified at Bradbury’s political transformation. Ronald Reagan “was one of the best presidents of the last century,” the born-again Republican maintains. The 40th president and Pope John Paul II, he holds, won the Cold War. Friend Charlton Heston was an “intellectual” hated by liberals “because of the NRA. That’s a lot of crap.”

7 comments:

TimT said...

Personally I reckon Bradbury's a much better writer than the other famous SF Republican, Robert Heinlein, though.

JeffS said...

I wouldn't say that Bradbury is a much better writer than Heinlein. Say rather, Bradbury is an excellent, at least as good as Heinlein, merely with an utterly different style.

JeffS said...

And I should note that I am pleasantly surprised by this news!

RebeccaH said...

Ray Bradbury made Mars into a place where I wanted to go live, and then broke my heart when I discovered that the real Mars is nothing at all like the one he created.

mojo said...

Heinlein, Bradbury and Zelazny were the big 3 wonder-weavers of my mis-spent youth. Keith Laumer was just for fun.

Combat Unit RPT "Rampart", Bolo Mark XXVIII said...

Mojo! Hey! Watch who yer dissin'! Laumer is da bomb!

mojo said...

Great. Another heavily-armed AI heard from.