Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Better than transcendental meditation

Whenever I’m feeling annoyed, depressed, harassed or gloomy, I take some time and contemplate the humble echidna; calms me right down (courtesy of that wild man of the worldwide web, TimT).

The echidna came in handy this morning, as I tried to recover from a most unsettling experience. I had come back to my office from a relaxing smoke, and noticed that I had a voice mail message. I began to play it and found that it was from one of my colleagues in our agency's economic analysis department. I was about 30 seconds into what turned out to be a longish message when one of my employees barged into the office. She saw that I was on the phone and retired quickly, but her sudden appearance must have been more distracting than I thought, because when I resumed listening to the recorded message I had unaccountably developed the impression that I was having a live conversation. The economist droned on awhile, and I interjected a question during a momentary break in his spiel, and - here's the weird thing - his next comment coincidentally turned out to be an answer to the very question I had asked, which, of course, perpetuated the notion that I was talking to someone live, rather than listening to a recording. However, I attempted to ask a couple of additional questions which he ignored, just talking away, then he hung up. Suddenly I remembered that I had been listening to a recorded message, not actually participating in a live dialog.

Hmmm...m'yes...I believe it's time for a long vacation, perhaps in one of those places where the tourists spend their time acquiring new skills in arts and crafts - like, for example, basket weaving.

12 comments:

JeffS said...

I need a long one as well, Paco. I hit the road tomorrow to visit relatives over the weekend, but that ain't enough. Christmas might involve an impromptu trip to Somewhere Else.

My telling event from today would require far too much context to describe completely. The bare minimum is: while reviewing and incorporating inane comments on an annoying document, I received a phone call from a friend who proceeded to ask a question way out of my zone, but she called me because the guy she wanted to speak with is on leave at home, cooking Thanksgiving dinner (he starts that EARLY).

I was called because I work in the same office, and have some common functions, but he goes that, whereas I go this way, and we do talk. But she and her boss wanted an answer NOW, because they were Worried Something Might Happen Soon. Hence, the call to me.

(Did I mention the time? No? About 15 minutes before the end of the day, and the start of a long weekend.)

The caller is a friend, but the Question was sufficiently annoying that I got (in her words) "Very Pissy". I apologized, but told her the Question needs to go up their supervisory chain. To the Agency Boss. And it did need to go there.

Which did not sit well with her boss, because he sent an e-mail of complaint to the Agency Boss, who wasn't in, so it went to the Able Office Assistant, who I had fortunately primed on the arrival of said message.

He wasn't happy with me, which I understand, but I finished the annoying document, turned off the computer, and got the heck out of Dodge. At warp speed.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I may be on the INTERNET. I may not. I may be sleeping off scrumptious meals cooked by talented relatives. Or playing with the kids. And so on.

We shall see.

As I said, Happy Thanksgiving to all! Have a safe and enjoying holiday.

Anonymous said...

Can I bum one of your 'cigarettes', Paco??

rinardman said...

Paco, you sound like you're getting old. Happens to the best of us.

Paco said...

Anon: Haw!

R-man: Old? Just be glad you're not within reach of my walker, you young whipper-snapper!

Anonymous said...

Deborah Leigh said...Paco, you're not alone. Part of my job is calling institutions (recreation departments, YMCAs) and leagues to bid for the kids' pictures. Each has a separate spiel that are very similar. Boredom, interruptions, and preoccupation with relocation, frequently results in memory lapses.

JeffS, my boss has the annoying habit of detaining departures for lunch, end of the day, and the like. Regarding annoying people, we try to warn new people making calls to New Jersey, New York, and Massachusetts.

Paco said...

Jeff: Life in the bureaucracy. Ain't it grand?

RebeccaH said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Paco minions. I'm making Thanksgiving dinner at my house for the first time in years (because my MIL has finally conceded that, at 84, she can't handle it anymore). We brought her over, and the kids and grandkids will be coming tomorrow, so it doesn't get any better than that.

RebeccaH said...

Oh, and the echidna was cute. The MIL, looking over my shoulder, commented at one point, "Oh, look, it's taking a leak."

Anonymous said...

Deborah Leigh said....Paco, don't miss the shell necklace session. They are "must have" accessories to go with the palm frond fedora you wove.

Anonymous said...

Deborah Leigh said...By-the-way, Mercury is in retrograde until the 26th. So keep the echidna sign on the door.

bruce said...

Hopefully Thanksgiving will be a circuit-breaker/pressure release for you frere Paco! Have a good one. Take it easy.

Anonymous said...

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!


[url=http://cheapnfljerseys168.totalh.net/]Wholesale NFL Jerseys[/url]



[url=http://louisvuittonhandbags8.is-great.org/]lv bags[/url]