Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Open thread

I'll be offline for a day or two, so run free, commenters!

A few things to start the ball rolling.

I was watching the live stream replay this morning of the funeral ceremony for Margaret Thatcher. A military band played several funeral dirges, the Queen and Prince Philip arrived and were greeted by great applause, and then the horse-drawn caisson drew up in front of the cathedral, and Baroness Thatcher's coffin was carried on the shoulders of representatives of the different service branches inside. The occasion is a sad one, but it is always thrilling to see the spit and polish of the British military.

Later, the coffin was brought back out and put in a hearse, and the Queen and Prince Philip spoke briefly with Baroness Thatcher's children and grandchildren. All the while, the cathedral bells were ringing beautifully. The British really know how to do these things up right.

On this side of the Atlantic, it appears that both the immigration and the gun control bills are in trouble. Confusion to the enemy!

The New York Times has had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the courtroom to cover the trial of the Philadelphia Butcher, Kermit Gosnell.

Have a splendid day, and go with God.


11 comments:

mojo said...

Same as for Winnie, Lord Tennyson said it best:

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

mojo said...

BTW, as I was passing the Bunker, I heard Wron chortling "Mine! All mine! BWAHAHAhahaha!"

Somewhat unsettling, needless to say.

JeffS said...

I need a bottle of mead, and Wron had best not have drank it all, lest he feel my wrath.

JeffS said...

BTW, Mojo, that's an excellent poem. I guess I need to read Lord Tennyson soon.

After I guzzle that bottle of mead.

JeffS said...

And while I'm thinking of it, Feinstein's draconian gun grabbing bill went down in flames, and dug 10 feet into the earth. Live blogging of today's Senatorial kabuki dance may be found at this excellent Second Amendment site.

I especially like this item:

5:20PM: Feinstein is dismayed, which means I’m a happy camper. “Easy to shoot big clips!” “Large velocity guns.” She’s not making any sense at all. “This is a majority body!” We’ll see if she even cracks a majority. Oh man, she’s really upset. Good!

Heh heh heh!

SwampWoman said...

Who crost the bar? I could use a drink.

rinardman said...

Obo the Clown stompy foot: "A shameful day for Washington!"

Point of view, Clown. Seems like a good day, to me.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 1 says:

How dare Senators listen to citizens and not the dictates of O and the media!

Anonymous said...

Message to Paco Enterprises shareholders: Whilst Paco was away I managed to break into his safe which I found concealed inside the stuffed, rampant grizzly bear, standing on its hind legs, that he has in his office to welcome the IRS people.

Needless to say I think you should sell. And quickly.

Penguinator.

Steve Skubinna said...

The NYT might have been dragged kicking and screaming into the Gosnell courtroom, but as soon as everyone focused on Boston they snuck out the back again.

Oh, and incidentally they're having a snit because Fox News spent yesterday covering those rubes in flyover country, in some place called... Tick's Ass or something? Something about fertilizer or something...

Michael Lonie said...

Can't see why they're complaining, Steve. The NYT serves up fertilizer all the time.