Friday, July 4, 2014

Seen around the neighborhood

Since the storm that blew up from the outer banks made some minor inroads into Northern Virginia, the air has cooled considerably and it is a particularly fine day, with plenty of sunshine and a light breeze.I decided that it would be a good day to begin a regimen of exercise; and high time, inasmuch as my job has recently left me little opportunity for taking care of the outer man.

We live in a lovely little neighborhood called Mantua, and it is an ideal place for strolling, especially due to the trails that wind through and about the area. I proposed to Mrs. Paco that we take a brisk walk. She was delighted with the suggestion, but, because of her long practice of daily perambulations, she evinced more ambition than I, and the brisk walk turned into the Mantua death march. Endless miles of trudging through the leafy wilderness...What's that, dear? It was only a little over a mile and a half? Ah. Well, I suppose I may be slightly exaggerating the strenuousness of our little hike, but there's no denying that a goodish part of the walk was uphill.

Here are a few scenes captured at random from our walk (click to enlarge).

A neighbor apparently has (or had) something of an itinerant cat:



The forest primeval:



The trail:



All that's missing is the commemorative plaque: "Al Gore Sat Here".

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deborah.... Glad to hear you and Mrs. Paco came through OK. What a wonderful place to live in.

RebeccaH said...

You live in a sweet neighborhood, Mr. Paco sir. I'm glad you and Mrs. P enjoyed. I have similar places to visit near my home, but sadly am not able to make much mileage.

bruce said...

Nice little creek valley says googlemap, surrounded by settlements so less wild animals eh?

But Paco, you've got to keep fit man. You should do regular walks with Missus, sounds like she has the right idea.

Paco said...

Bruce: We've got quite a few deer in the neighborhood, plus red foxes, raccoons, and the occasional coyote.

I am on the cusp of embarking on a plan of regular exercise. I'd like to at least make it to retirement.

rinardman said...

Since I stopped working full time, I have been working out five days a week. Most weeks, anyway. I'm not sure what it's gaining me, but maybe when I die I'll be in good shape.

At least for a guy my age.

Paco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paco said...

R-man was good enough to share a recent photo of himself which shows the benefits of regular exercise.

rinardman said...

Well...no...I don't have near that much hair.

Anonymous said...

Deborah... Paco: As you probably know, most critters will run from humans. Though it might be wise to carry a baseball bat or club of some sort. Coyotes are sometimes inclined to be daring.

Roman: Thank God you don't look like that freak.

Anonymous said...

Deborah.... Oops! That last comment was for rinardman. Dang new phone! It must have been the spell check function, and I didn't catch it.

Minicapt said...

https://4chanmemeandmotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/internet_tough_guy_-_because_its_easy_to_be_a_6_foot_4_olympic_powerlifter_and_streetfighting_god_from_behind_the_confines_of_a_keyboard.jpg

Cheers

kc said...

As a fitness non-freak, I must correct you, Paco. If that thing is paved, it's a sidewalk. Proper 'trails' are not paved, no matter what the city council or county board or HOA says.

I do pretty well on non-paved hikes. Living in a house on a concrete pad though is killing my old feet.

Getting closer to your neck of the woods, though, as we do another 50 miles this summer on the AT (Hwy 603 to Atkins) a month from tomorrow. Tried out my new-to-me hammock last night at the state park, while Miss B and her grandpa sacked out in the camper. It will do quite nicely...

Paco said...

KC: I don't think some gravel randomly distributed in spots over a dirt trail qualifies as a sidewalk (except possibly, now, in Detroit).