Monday, November 19, 2018

Ma Paco, RIP

My mother, Vivian Davis Fletcher, passed away in the early hours of November 15th, at age 87, from a heart attack. Born near the outset of the Great Depression, the second youngest of seven children, the family was desperately poor, but to hear her talk about it, she had a wonderful childhood. Her four brothers fought in WWII and all came back alive (two Marines, one Navy, one Army); sadly, they have now also joined the majority. Two sisters survive.

She was married to her second husband for almost 40 years, and he was utterly devoted to her; he is nearly inconsolable, but I pray he will come to terms with her passing. She lived for many years on a parcel of land in Mann's Harbor, NC, located on the mainland across from the Outer Banks. Her love of all living things inspired her to turn the place into a veritable Garden of Eden, rich with flowers and shrubs and vegetables; her favorite neighbors were the deer and the bears who inhabit the vicinity.

She was committed to her faith, and I trust that the God she served for so many years will bless her soul.

10 comments:

Mike_W said...

My condolences, Paco.
Your mother sounds like a lovely lady; may God rest her soul.

bruce said...

Deepest condolences. Wonderful eulogy.

rinardman said...

My condolences also, Paco. I bet she was a lot like my parents, and my aunts & uncles, who also lived thru the Great Depression & WW II. They almost never talked about the hard times they experienced, and were stoic in the face of setbacks they experienced in their later lives. Definitely not like the snowflakes inhabiting today's world.

Gregoryno6 said...

My condolences, Paco. If there's a heaven, your mother surely has a place in it.

Deborah said...

Paco, we send our sincerest condolences to you and the family. I agree with Gregory. Your mother is surely in Heaven, and reunited with family. May God bless and comfort all.

Old Sailor Man said...

My condolences; may she rest in peace.

Steve Skubinna said...

I am sorry, Paco. I wish you and your family strength, and may you find condolence and joy in celebrating her life.

RebeccaH said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Paco. Even in our own advancing years, losing a parent is sorrowful and leaves a lingering pain. Each generation lives through stressful, even traumatic, times and it's their faith and strength that keeps their progeny (us) going, so to honor them we turn our gratitude into fortitude for those that come after us. God bless you mother. I hope she gets to meet my parents, fellow Southerners (although Texans) in the hereafter. They'll have a lot to talk about (us).

JeffS said...

My deepest condolences, Paco.

Skeeter said...

Paco, Mrs Skeeter and I are sorry for your loss. Our condolences to you and your family.