Saturday, March 30, 2019

Family business

Mrs. Paco and I went up to Mann's Harbor yesterday to meet up with my brother and Aunt Peaches to help my stepfather sort through some of my late mother's belongings, and Peaches - always a lively sort - told us a story about her brother, Calvin, I had never heard before.

Seems that when they were kids back in the Great Depression, they were walking home from school one day and passed by the home of one of the very few well-off families in the vicinity. Calvin saw a goose in the front yard and made off with it. Later, he wrote a ransom note demanding one dollar for the return of the goose and...signed his name. Got whacked pretty good for that bonehead move.

9 comments:

bruce said...

Kids logic. Sounds like a Little Rascals plot. I checked and was surprised that Peaches is a real girls' name, always thought it was just a nickname. I'm learning new things every day.

Gregoryno6 said...

Every family's got one. In my family, it was probably me.
Not because I incriminated myself like Calvin - I was always the odd man out. Example: I had more brains than just about the rest of the family combined - and that's including aunts uncles and cousins. I was destined to be the first to go to university! But I said 'No thanks, that just looks like more school' and got a job in a warehouse.

rinardman said...

Let me guess. Calvin grew up to become a Dimocrat.

I mean, AOC is a Dimocrat, and she signed her name to the ransom note known as the Green New Deal.

Deborah said...

Paco, how long was it before Calvin could sit down? Besides the switch, what other punishment did Calvin get?

JeffS said...

Did Calvin ever move to Chicago? Or possibly work for the IRS?

Mike said...

I've done the trip from Mann's Harbor to Wilmington. It shows you have toughness and stamina for doing that.

Paco said...

Bruce: In her case, Peaches was, indeed, a nickname; her given name was "Halley".

Calvin redeemed himself by serving in the Navy during WWII, seeing considerable action in the Pacific.

Mike: It's a bit of a drive, but coming and going we had beautiful weather.

RebeccaH said...

Did Calvin happen to own a stuffed tiger toy, perhaps?

Paco said...

Haw! I wouldn't be surprised.