Sunday, December 29, 2019

Well, that was interesting

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan. I saw the first three movies, including the very first in the series on its release day (I went with my fiance, the future Mrs. Paco). I liked them, and was blown away by the special effects (now, I'm led to believe, completely overtaken by technological developments in movie making in the last 30 years). But I was never obsessed with the series.

Number 1 son, however, had a hankering to watch the Disney Star Wars series, The Mandalorian, and I confess, I rather enjoyed it, primarily because it struck me as an intergalactic reworking of the traditional western (bounty hunters, gunslingers, desert landscapes, the lone hero with his personal code of honor, etc.). One thing that startled me, though, was to learn over the course of the last two episodes that the primary villain is apparently...Cab Calloway.



That is, of course, Giancarlo Esposito, in the role of Moff Gideon - but when I first saw him emerge from a crowd of Stormtroopers, I half expected him to say, "Hi De Ho, hep cats and kittens!"

Update: We also watched Scorsese's The Irishman, starring Robert De Niro as hitman Frank Sheeran, Joe Pesci as mob boss Russell Bufalino and Al Pacino as Jimmy Hoffa. If the point of the movie was to highlight the banality of evil, then it succeeded admirably, because I've rarely seen a collection of more banal, awful human beings. The flick does give what I think is a realistic portrayal of the gangster psyche and culture: maudlin sentimentality spread thinly like icing on a poison cake; everything - love of family, love of friends, personal loyalty - everything trumped by the lust for power and money; pathological narcissism supported by amazing brutality; all topped off by the pursuit of the gaudy and tacky, in suits, houses and women. Hoffman's portrayal of Hoffa strikes me as over the top (more of a caricature, really), but he does undeniably get across Hoffa's arrogance and almost willful blindness to the danger his actions ultimately brought down on him. De Niro's pretty much typecast now as old school gangster, and he lived up (or down, depending on your perspective) to that persona in the movie. There was some new technology used in the film to "de-age" a few of the principals in order to show them in earlier days, but I didn't think it came off too well. De Niro, especially, just looked like an old guy with nice skin (the new technology apparently can't do anything about his old-man shuffle and arthritic mannerisms, which give the game away).

This project probably would have worked better as a mini-series; still, overall, I'd say worth watching once.

9 comments:

bruce said...

Yep that's Cab alright.

Some of the 1990s prequels were made in Australia (also the Matrix) so familiar faces from local soaps appear as support cast, and Jango Fett is a typical Maori nightclub bouncer. Scenes in the Matrix are set in Sydney locations where I'd eat lunch as an office-worker in the 70s. You end up watching films like a producer instead of escapism. 'I can see why they made this choice'. Global markets are weird.

bruce said...

Here's Jango Fett as we know him:
https://youtu.be/-jGibCvZ7GY

and oh yeah liberals, you should move to New Zealand.

bruce said...

I'm surprised Scorsese made yet another gangster film, and with DeNiro. I guess it was about fickle audiences and funding.

A film needs a heart, someone to feel for, Like Liza Minelli in New York NY. Without her performance that film would be unwatchable (and even then for most people - I know...).

3 plus hours long, how many stayed?

Paco said...

A film needs a heart, someone to feel for

Exactly. This is also why, although I found The Godfather interesting, I experienced a feeling of emptiness that left me less than truly satisfied with the movie. There was nobody to really like.

Spiny Norman said...

There was nobody to really like.

Which is why Scorsese's Goodfellas worked: Ray Liotta's Henry Hill was a likeable rogue, even though he was a career gangland criminal with no genuine redeeming qualities.

Spiny Norman said...

Also, I thought Joe Pesci retired.

RebeccaH said...

I've seen positive reviews for The Mandalorian, so I'd like to see it (probably when it finally comes out on DVD, or streaming somewhere, as I don't have a Netflix account and don't plan to get one). As for the rest of the newer Star Wars franchise ... meh. I got over that decades ago, and nothing I've heard about it tempts me.

Paco said...

Spiny: Pesci's performance was so understated, I'm not sure he really had to come out of retirement to play the role. That's not intended as a criticism, incidentally; the thing about most (certainly not all) Mafia guys seems to be that they're boring, vulgar and low key much of the time (except when they're participating in, or instigating, violence). Pesci's character is the complete antithesis of the one he played in Goodfellas.

Sam S said...

I had the same thought; the actor does have a striking resemblance to one of my all-time favorite performers: Cab Calloway. I came across this blog for just that reason: I wanted to see if anyone else was thinking the same thing.