Tuesday, March 24, 2020

What a find!

Scored some more toilet paper this morning at Walmart. Buyers were limited to one four-pack. And it wasn't even the store brand; looked like government surplus circa 1958, from the back of a supply closet at a remote and not very popular national park. But it's the real thing, so I'm not squawkin'. Interestingly, some of the neighborhood golf and tennis clubs are complaining of thefts of toilet paper from their restrooms.

Maggie's school is out for the rest of the year, thanks to an edict from Virginia Governor Ralph "Coonman" Northam, and Number One Son is temporarily out of a job, since his tattoo shop has been deemed non-essential for the duration.

Overcast and a little cool outside, so not a bad day to do some inaugural gardening. At least, with shortages and such, I might be able to get away with shooting some deer and rabbit pests - you know, for food.

Speaking of shooting, I'm thinking of acquiring a K1911 Schmidt-Rubin Swiss carbine. Classic Firearms has some in stock, and they look pretty decent. I like bolt action rifles, but the only one I own is a WWII-era G98/40 (a modified Mannlicher in 8mm Mauser made in Hungary during the German alliance and subsequent occupation). Great shooter, but kind of rare.

And if Nancy Pelosi drops dead today, I will gladly undertake to fund the costs of her funeral.

Update I said I'd pay for your funeral, Nancy, not be the reason for it: "Pelosi Backs Down From Her Coronavirus Bill (For Now) – Says Will Try to Pass Senate’s Economic Stimulus Package". Heh. She probably thought I was going to wrap her in old newspapers and stand her in a trash can.

Update II: And your little dog, too: "Nancy Pelosi’s Daughter Implies Neighbor Who Assaulted Rand Paul Was ‘Right’".

6 comments:

RebeccaH said...

If you started a GoFundMe for Pelosi's funeral, you might get enough to put her ashes in a coffee can.

She turned around on the relief package a lot quicker than I thought she would, so the backlash against her must have been fierce. It proves, too, that she is as tone-deaf and dumb as a cedar fence post.

Paco said...

Yeah, I agree that her vaunted political savvy is more myth than fact. Her successes are largely a function of the fecklessness of her opponents.

ck said...

Living alone, I bought TP a couple of months ago and am good till june at least. Nancy and Chuck's little surprise didn't surprise me at all. You know who else it didn't surprise? That guy with the really hot wife. In fact, I'll bet he had an outline of Nancy's bill before she landed in DC.

Spiny Norman said...

Since I'm self-employed (AB-5 hasn't shut me down, and the coronavirus lockdown hasn't yet, either), and I get paid when my clients feel like paying me. I don't have unlimited credit, so I never know when I might be short of cash, so I buy extra when I do. I'm not a prepper, but my garage kinda looks like it.

(It also looks a bit like a speaker repair shop -- I have a bunch of loudspeakers I plan on refurbishing, and/or upgrading, when I can find time. Some of which were quite expensive when they were new. Others weren't, but are quite rare today.)

JeffS said...

".....looked like government surplus circa 1958, from the back of a supply closet at a remote and not very popular national park ...."

They might have come out of and old Cold War era civil defense stockpiles. You'd be surprised what the government used to stash away in anticipation of The Bomb.

Paco said...

JeffS: that may well be the case.