Friday, June 19, 2020

Cheap grace

CEO Dan Cathy of Chick-Fil-A apparently thinks that white people should kneel and shine black people's shoes in order to help expiate the sins of racism. In an act of what I would call extreme spiritual vanity, Cathy himself did this very thing on television.

Yes, it was an act of vanity, not humility, a pharisaical display which sought to rope all whites together within a loop of collective guilt, which the Right Reverend Cathy seeks to eliminate through the low-cost gesture of dusting off some guy's shoes. Incidentally, I wonder how many people are going without shoes altogether these days because Chick-Fil-A cut off donations to the Salvation Army?

I stopped eating at Chick-Fil-A on road trips unless it was the only thing in the offing. I now intend to give it up completely and go hungry if necessary.

Update: Taking a leaf from the Right Reverend Dan Cathy's Bible of Collective Guilt, shouldn't black people be coming together to form a movement to Shine Jews' Shoes? Looks like black radicals involved in a BLM protest in LA engaged in acts of anti-Semitic vandalism and other acts of violence recently, so, how about it? Although, if I were Jewish, I'd probably be satisfied with a pledge not to vandalize or burn down my synagogue.

Update II Veeshir, in the comment section of a previous post: "Make him [John Roberts] Clarence Thomas' shoe-shine boy."

5 comments:

Veeshir said...

Never trample your old friends in your desire to make new ones.
I wonder how many people are feeling trampled today.

bruce said...

Well said Veeshir.

RebeccaH said...

From childhood I was taught that one of the chief failings of certain Christians was the sin of pride, as in: "Look on my works, I am a better Christian than you." Dan Cathy is obviously one of those, and he should be ashamed of himself.

JeffS said...

Virtue signalling is nothing more than pride filled boasts about how much better one is than anyone else.

Pride goeth before a fall, and conquerors never trust turncoats -- some of these grovelers are likely to be the first against the wall should the left seize political power at all levels.

Deborah said...

Paco, there is always gas station or convenience store food. Although it is a bit of a quandary because I don't like to take my ire with Cathy out on the franchisee who probably disagrees with him. Luckily, we aren't often presented with the problem, because the town with a CFA isn't close, and there is a sushi restaurant that I prefer.

Btw, how are you, Mrs. Paco, and Daisy holding up with the storms? Same with the other Pacos? Prayers and best wishes!