Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Well, lookie here

Hmmm. That's definitely an old school Ruger box.



And that's definitely an old school Ruger.



Turns out, it's a like-new, never-fired Ruger Speed Six .38 Spl revolver in the original box (from the same family as the Police Service Six I posted about a couple of weeks ago). I saw it on the online inventory list of my (sort of local) gun dealer, and, since these are becoming somewhat collectible, I snatched it up. Based on the serial number, it looks like it was manufactured in 1984. The Six Series was discontinued, I believe, in 1988.

Yeah, I know. With civil war and possibly the apocalypse right around the corner, I ought to be filling my safes with AR and AK platforms. Couldn't resist this one, though.

7 comments:

JeffS said...

That's a great purchase! Wheel guns are reliable, and are excellent back up pistols.

ck said...

Nice pistol!!, even an AR nut like myself can only shoot one rifle at a time. If any idiot were to manage to get past my dogs and into my house, I'd be grabbing a pistol anyway. I don't shoot my pistols that much but the distances involved in home defense are miniscule.

Veeshir said...

ARs are hard to find. There were 2 or 3 for every 10 on armslist in AZ 2 months ago, now there are are maybe 1 or 2 for every 20 guns. And they're almost all the high end ones for $1,300 and up.
AKs were going down, I should have bought a spare, but they're gone too.
I did get a Nambu to replace one I had to sell.
My next buy is a Tac 14dm. A short, mag-fed 12 gauge. The Mossberg has a bigger mag so I might go for that instead.
My father was a Remington guy so I have a soft spot for them.

Paco said...

V: I've got a Tac 14 with the regular tubular magazine. I went with the wooden furniture because it reminded me of something out of the prohibition era. Absolutely love that gun. Don't see it, or the similar Mossberg Shockwave, anywhere these days. Someone gave my older son an old Remington 870. If we can find somebody to saw the barrel down a bit there is a cool tactical kit you can fit to it.

ck: My go-to bedroom stuff is a revolver and a Winchester pump-action shotgun.

Veeshir said...

I want to get wood furniture for the dm. I hope I can order that separately since they don't sell it with the gun.
I got an Italian copy of the Winchester 1887 by Chiappa. It's nice to shoot but it doesn't feed right. Typical Italian stuff. Looks purty and is great when it works, but then it doesn't work.

Meant to say, that Ruger is purty. If you're wearing a jacket should be a nice carry piece.

JeffS said...

Paco, rather than sawing it down, you might be able to pick up a new barrel for the 870 -- I found one vender with 14" and 18", although those are currently sold out.

You may need a new tube; I'm a Mossberg man, and am not familiar with the 870. But you will probably need a special spanner wrench to change the barrel.

Paco said...

That's a good idea, Jeff. Thanks.