Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Sad news

 My Uncle Jack passed away a few days ago. Having beaten prostate cancer and throat cancer, he finally succumbed to kidney disease at the age of 86. 

Jack was the "baby" of his family, which, to some extent, probably explains all of the allowances that were made for him over the years. 

He served in the Air Force in the late 1950s, and later headed up the personnel department of a textile firm in North Carolina. The textile company shut down, however, and thus began Jack's career as a "self-employed businessman", in which his addiction to spending money - and he wasn't fussy; didn't have to be his, necessarily - turned him into something of a local legend of financial impropriety and mismanagement (he, himself, always found his reputation to be hugely amusing). Jack had a tremendous sense of humor, an infectious laugh and was actually a loving brother and son; his own children turned out to be remarkably successful. He separated from his wife decades ago, but they remained married. Jack said divorce was against his religion, although I imagine that it was alimony which most strongly triggered his religious objections.

Jack enjoyed his pleasures, particularly food. Once, perhaps 15 years ago, he began to feel chest pains and figured (correctly, as it turned out) that he was having a heart attack. He hadn't had breakfast, yet, though, so, driving himself to the hospital, he stopped on the way at the Do-Nut Dinette and ordered up a stack of pancakes and a side of bacon before proceeding to the emergency room.

Such was Jack's charm (and obvious lack of financial prospects), that even the IRS finally threw up its hands in despair and effectively (if unofficially) ended its pursuit of him. Jack said of his last interview, with a (no doubt) broken and defeated IRS auditor, that, as the T-man was leaving, Jack threw an arm around the man's shoulders and said, "Don't worry. I'll send you a dollar or two every now and then".

I don't believe his estate includes much in the way of assets, except for a chest-of-drawers filled with his old socks which sits on the front porch of my late grandmother's house, where Jack lived for many years (without electricity, a needless expense as he saw it).

 My father said something once that I think would serve as the perfect epitaph: "Jack would give you the shirt off his back - although he probably borrowed it from you in the first place - but he would write you enough bad checks to wallpaper your living room." 

In spite of everything, it was impossible not to like him. RIP, Jack. You have finally found a permanent refuge from the bill collectors and the tax man.

Update  One more uncle Jack story comes to mind. For awhile, he worked for a small company - I don't know what the outfit did - and he was, quite astonishingly, the treasurer. The company eventually failed, although not, to the best of my knowledge, due to anything Jack did. Anyhow, I was chatting with Old Paco in his office one day when Jack came in, laughing his head off. My father asked him what was so funny. Jack said, "I've got to put this in the mail, but I wanted to show it to you first". He handed Old Paco a check, and said, "See that? It's a check written to a collection agency drawn on the account of a bankrupt company and signed by Jack Carter!" We all laughed til we cried.

19 comments:

Mike_W said...

Your uncle Jack sounds like quite a character, Paco.
God bless him and rest his soul.

Spiny Norman said...

RIP Uncle Jack.

He sounds like the wonderful scamp we've all known at one time or another, so long as you didn't loan him money.

JeffS said...

My condolences, Paco -- losing a family member is never easy.

But I have to tip my hat to him, fending off the IRS is no easy task.

Paco said...

He sounds like the wonderful scamp we've all known at one time or another, so long as you didn't loan him money.

Fortunately, his financial misadventures mostly affected his own family, thus limiting the damage to the world at large - although it was my father, Old Paco, who seems to have borne the brunt of Jack's financial mischief. For me, the two became a perennial comedy duo, Old Paco trying to bail Jack out, Jack hastening after the next shiny thing.

But I have to tip my hat to him, fending off the IRS is no easy task.

Very true. His ability to evade the clutches of the tax man was something wondrous to behold.

Veeshir said...

Sorry Paco. He sounds like a fun guy.

Paco said...

Yes, he was a fun guy. He was also devilishly handsome in his youth and, indeed, throughout most of his life. Maybe that helped him put himself across.

Veeshir said...

That last story is fricking funny.
Sounds like he saw the humor in his situation too.

We had uncle Lenny, aka uncle Loony, he was a genius, the best pistol shot I've ever seen, I saw him draw and shoot down a quail once, but the craziest (as in, he met Napoleon in the loony bin) guy you ever met. Great sense of humor too, or maybe he just did funny things cuz he was so crazy.
His last few years were spent living in a cave in the mountains near Woodstock, NY, spending his IBM pension on...uhhh.... who knows what.

I, of course, am the crazy uncle in my family now.

Paco said...

Congratulations on your, um, promotion.

bruce said...

Oh yeah, I'm the crazy uncle in my family. The only one in my family like that was my dear old granny with all her Irish blarney, talked her way into a private party with the queen and princesses Elizabeth and Margaret in the 1930s, among many other adventures.

Spiny Norman said...

Oh my. You're going to have to give us details about that one, bruce.

bruce said...

My auntie told me the story but now I check the dates it may not have happened. Another of grandma's stories it seems. I saw her in action in the 1960s when LBJ came to Sydney though, chatting up the security so we could get closer, I do think she hoped she could talk our way in to meeting the President. That's how she was - a guarded gate was an invitation to talk her way in. I had genuine policeman's and fireman's hats to play with because she talked them into giving one to her grandson. My dad freaked out when he saw I had a police hat.

Gregoryno6 said...

A somewhat dodgy bu likeable character who said FU to the tax man and made it stick. The world is a little poorer for his passing. Condolences, Paco.

Nashville Beat said...

Sorry for your loss. I will dedicate my next Adoration to him. God has a sense of humor, you know.

Paco said...

Thank you, N.B. and everyone. Maybe Jack's own sense of humor will serve as his ticket to get in.

JeffS said...

Come to think of it, I'm the crazy uncle in my family as well.

Is it a coincidence that this blog attracts so many crazy uncles?

RebeccaH said...

Sorry for your loss.

kc said...

So very sorry for your loss.

Paco said...

Is it a coincidence that this blog attracts so many crazy uncles?

Welcome to the Psycho Avuncular Club Online!

Thanks Rebecca and kc (hey, kc; long time, no see!)

Mike_W said...

"Welcome to the Psycho Avuncular Club Online!"

Wow, Paco, that's just awesome.