Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Can't help myself

 Lately, I've been lovin' me some lever action rifles, and picked up another one yesterday. The rifle below (click to enlarge so you can truly enjoy its beauty) is the Cimarron/Uberti version of the 1873 Winchester known as the U.S. Marshal IT (which stands for Indian Territory). This rifle came about not long ago when an active member of the US Marshal's Service approached Cimarron and asked if the company could make him an old school rifle he could carry in his car while on duty. The result is what you see in the picture. It's more or less the regular 1873 Winchester clone, with the barrel cut down to 18 inches, and with an inch shaved off the stock. The rifle is chambered in .44 Special, which is a sweet-shooting round (the tube magazine holds 9 or 10 rounds, can't remember off hand). I had it out to the range today, and it worked flawlessly, and proved to be pretty accurate at 50 yards (which is about the farthest I can see a target, to be frank). The Second Amendment is my hill to die on, and I'd be proud to go down fighting with something like this (preferably surrounded by a pile of empty brass cases).


Update  Here's an interesting video on an old Winchester rifle that was found leaning against a tree in the Great Basin National Park by park employees.


7 comments:

ck said...

This morning in a very light snow I couldn't even spot my 600 yard targets (20"x48"). I had to find them with my scope. The snow did make it easy to judge the windage.

Veeshir said...

You should check AZ armslist. I ofen see the actual Winchester rifles Uberti copies.
Some are from the early 1900s and cost about the same.
Ixm tempted, but I have to save my pennies for ammo anymore.

ck said...

50 is my absolute max with iron sights too. I even put hand me down scopes on my Marlins(30-30 and model 60 .22) and I have 4 powers on my off hand rifles. I'm holding the line at pistols though, no optics for 25 and closer.

Paco said...

ck: I'm not sure I could see 600 yards even with a scope!

V: I'll have to check those out. Thanks.

You're right about the ammo; these days, it's more important to focus on that than on more guns.

Veeshir said...

If it's near Phoenix I would go check it out and even get it and ship it to your ffl.
Unfortunately, many of the juiciest ones are in Yuma or Mojave Valley. That's far away.

Paco said...

Yuma. Hot!

Thanks for your kind offer to check out stuff in Phoenix. I'll try to check some of these firearms out.

ck said...

Here's one for you. Making an AR10 lower with range brass. All by hand, no CNC machine. https://www.full30.com/v/glossy-steal-QmqyP