Monday, July 27, 2026

Classical corner

Swiss-born composer Arthur Honegger's Pacific 231. From the notes to the video, Honegger explains the inspiration for the piece:

"I've always loved locomotives passionately," he says, "for me they are living things ... What I've been looking for in" Pacific "is not imitation of the sounds of the locomotive, but the translation of a visual impression and a physical enjoyment by a musical construction. It starts from objective contemplation: the quiet respiration of the machine at rest, the effort of starting, and then the progressive increase of speed, to the lyrical state, to the pathetic train of 300 tons, launched in the middle of the night at 120. As "topic", I chose the locomotive type "Pacific", symbol 231, for heavy trains of high speed. " ("Pacific" is an express, steam locomotive "231" means: on each side 2 front wheels, 3-wheel drive, .1 rear carrier wheel.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment