Monday, February 23, 2009

Will the Last Honest Democrat in Illinois Please Raise Your Hand?

Poor Roland Burris, Illinois’ newly-minted Democratic senator, may well find himself returned to private life due to certain, er, “mistakes” and “glitches” having to do with his testimony about the extent of his relationship with former-governor Rod Blagojevich. Patterico indicates that a possible replacement being floated has a few problems of his own. State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias has ties to Tony Rezko and perhaps to Chicago mob figures, as well.

I’m thinking that even the most optimistic political wildcatter looking for a clean Democrat in Illinois would have abandoned this hole long ago.

Update: Haw! Richard McEnroe makes a great point: "Let's lower the bar a bit. Will the FIRST honest Democrat in Illinois please raise your hand?"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived for 5 years in the Chicago area, working down in the Loop, in the late 1980s. I don't recall seeing any honest politician (from any party) at any time. Even the National Guard was rife with politics and cronyism. But the Democrats were the worst, no question about it.

And let's not forget that our President was raised in that political machine. Burris is just a party hack, promoted because he's an able yes-man, but rose well above his level of ability to BS people.

kc said...

I had a comment here that I almost posted saying if you find me a Democrat politician who's honest, anywhere - besides Zell Miller - I would return to that party.

But I can't do it, because there JUST MIGHT be one. One. Besides Zell. Maybe in Montana. My grandfather probably was, but he died in 1963. So was my grandmother, she died in 2000. That might have been the end of the line.

Larry Sheldon said...

There are lots of honest Democrats in Illinois. They dig them up and cart them to the polls every election.

Paco said...

Larry: That reminds me; Burris is also involved in a funeral association scandal.

Anonymous said...

They are touting Giannoulis?

Why not give the seat to Ayers and be done with it?

richard mcenroe said...

Let's lower the bar a bit.

Will the FIRST honest Democrat in Illinois please raise your hand?

TW: pilit: The action of giving an Obama speech: "Pilit higher and deeper."

Anonymous said...

But I hear the Stonecutters Union is solidly behind Burris. Like a rock, ya might say. If you dared.

I lived in Champaign for a while. About 30-40 miles south of Chicago. "Downstate", as they say. Certainly few-to-none on the "honet pol" count down thataways.