Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Paco Bloc

Mrs. Paco and I went to vote early this morning (Go, Keith Fimian!). No trouble with our voting machines, although Mrs. Paco heard later in the day on the radio that a voting station elsewhere in Fairfax County was registering Gerald Connelly’s name, even when one pushed the button for Fimian (isn’t it strange how these “glitches” always seem to favor the Democratic candidate?)

I was just glad that I was able to vote. A couple of weeks ago, I received a letter from the Fairfax County Voter Registration Board threatening to kick me off the rolls because they had received information from the Department of Motor Vehicles that indicated that I was not a U.S. citizen. Interesting, I thought to myself. I had renewed my driver’s license a couple of months before, but the one thing that I have never gotten wrong on an application is my citizenship status. I called the Voter Registration Board and talked to a woman whose faux politeness just oozed a kind of dismissive lack of interest. Naturally, she couldn’t tell me anything at all pertaining to the details of this purported communication from DMV, and pretty much insisted that it must have been my fault (not DMV’s and certainly not the Board’s). The letter notifying me of my potential non-citizen status (signed by one Edgardo Sortes, thank you very much) also came with a declaration form which I had to send in certifying that, yes, I am, indeed, a U.S. citizen (the postage-paid envelope referred to in the cover letter was not included, by the way). Anyhow, I sent in the declaration and had no trouble today casting my vote.

Truth to tell, I was never really worried. If I had been prevented from voting, I’m sure Eric Holder would have been all over it.

3 comments:

Minicapt said...

Next time we'll do better ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Militant_Elvis_Party

Cheers

RebeccaH said...

You'd have been out of luck, Paco. AG Holder would be too busy investigating the NBPP voter intimidation crimes in Houston and Philadelphia. I'm sure of it.

Paco said...

Yeah, that's true.