Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Out and about in Brunswick County

The tiny town of Bolivia is the county seat of Brunswick County, and in addition to housing the headquarters for the Brunswick Sheriff's Dept. (where I picked up my concealed carry permit yesterday - Yay!), it is also home to the Brunswick County Botanical Garden, operated by the county's agricultural extension service. Mrs. Paco and I went there in hopes of identifying a plant we brought from Virginia, but the horticulturalist was baffled, although he thinks it may be something in the basswood family.

Anyhow, our main reason for going was simply to wander through the garden. It's a small, but lovely, place, very well maintained. Here are a few pics.









7 comments:

RebeccaH said...

Lovely.

Steve Skubinna said...

Do you guys have Brunswick Stew? Georgia and Virginia argue over which state is the birthplace of it, and I'm inclined to support the former's claim (because I like GA better than VA).

I well remember the first time I had it, along with a slice of buttermilk pie. That was, I think, the first time I truly appreciated how varied and diverse American cuisine is. And to me anyway, Southern cooking seems the most distinctive and idiosyncratic of all the regions.

Paco said...

Southern cooking is very diverse, I'll say that. I grew up on country-style steak, rice and gravy, and green beans cooked with bacon grease or fatback, and granny Paco used to cook picnic shoulder that was the best thing I ever had off a pig (always excepting bacon, of course), with buttermilk biscuits or yeast rolls. Louisiana is in a class all its own, and there are multiple schools of thought on the subject of barbecue.

JeffS said...

A lovely garden!

Deborah said...

I enjoy food from all over; domestic and foreign. I hope your buttermilk pie wasn't as sweet as the icebox pie (maybe buttermilk) I tried a few years back here in south Texas. Maybe it was just the restaurant, south Texas, or my palate, but...dang!, it was sweet!

Keep enjoying!

Deborah said...

Delicious raising! Probably helped make you the man you are.

I'm a Navy brat. During our time in Virginia, we frequently ate catfish we caught. Fried mush for breakfast. Good food.

Deborah said...

Congrats on the CC! How did you celebrate? Ice cream? Steak?

Beautiful garden! Wonderful place to spend a day or afternoon.