Monday, March 18, 2019

Sweet!

Sotheby's is auctioning off this 1957 El Dorado Cadillac.

Dual 4-bbl carbs, suicide doors in the back, gorgeous paint job, a stainless steel roof...Outstanding! Old Paco once told me that Cadillacs were the bootleggers' car of choice because of the big engines and the large cargo capacity. Used to break his heart, he said, to see some moonshiner driving one of these at high speed down a gravel road or through a field in order to avoid apprehension (but avoid apprehension they frequently did, so I guess it was worth it to them).

2 comments:

Skeeter said...

That was exactly the car and colour I lusted after in 1957 at age 23, when all I could afford on Air Force pay was a Midnight Blue 1940 Buick sedan.
The hard-top Caddie would have suited me nicely, but I actually preferred a convertible; they were quite rare in Aus and sure-fire chick-magnets in those days.

Paco said...

Skeeter: Now's your chance to acquire your dream car!