Saturday, July 20, 2019

An anniversary of colossal achievement

James Pinkerton has written a fine short article on the Apollo 11 moon mission.

I was 14 years old when "we" landed on the moon. I was hanging out with my friend, John Mason, in his house. His father was sitting in his recliner in the den, directly facing their television, and John, my brother and I were sitting on the couch. I can still recall vividly the excitement of the occasion, and a feeling of awe for the intelligence and commitment of all the people who made the mission possible. When Neil Armstrong stepped on the surface of the moon, the event took our breath away. After a few moments of stunned silence, John's father said, "Well, boys, you'll always remember that you passed from one age into another while sitting on the Mason's couch". And I always have.

Where were you when this momentous event in human history was unfolding?

8 comments:

JeffS said...

At home, watching the moment on our TV set. I was 12 at the time.

RebeccaH said...

I was newly married and we watched it on TV before going to the midnight drive-in. Can't remember what movie we were supposed to see because we kept looking out the car window at the moon. I had always been a fan of science fiction, and here it was. There were actually people up there. I can't describe the feeling.

Spiny Norman said...

Like JeffS, I was at home watching it on an 18" black and white TV. Except I was 7 at the time.

Spiny Norman said...

The best part was later that evening, looking up at the moon, utterly amazed that there were two men walking around up there. That memory has stuck with me even more vividly than the blurry video of Armstrong hoping down that last step.

bruce said...

Yes we had a TV at school where some stayed to watch but they let us go home to watch it too.

bruce said...

And thanks for reminding me Spiny, I think we all looked up at the moon in those days with that in mind, in awe that there were men walking around up there.

I began school at the time of John Glenn's first Mercury orbit (we start the school year in January/February). The progress in space was in the background of my whole school career. I guess I was a bit disappointed that 'we' never got to the Starships yet, the TV shows had raised our hopes a bit high.

Ron Robertson said...

A cold railway platform in Melbourne Australia, broadcast on the Tannoy.
We hugged each other, black white and brindle!
A lonely teenager grew up at that moment.
Uncle Ron.

Paco said...

Thanks for weighing in, Ron! Nice imagery.