Sunday, August 4, 2019

Assortment

Mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton over the weekend take us that much closer to one of T.S. Eliot's markers of societal collapse: random murders. Brian Cates has some interesting thoughts on the rise of the "s**tposting nihilist". Terrible loss of life, any way you slice it, and further proof that the many strands of human thought and action that create and sustain a civilization - strong families, intelligent child-rearing, education, technology, character-building, approaches to diagnosing and treating mental illness, civility in our politics and social interactions, effective law enforcement - are coming unraveled. God have mercy on the souls of the innocent victims.

Mass shootings capture our attention because of the sheer number of people killed at one time. As bad as they are - and they are horrible events - are they truly more horrible than homicides running at over 300 per year for the last four years in a single city?

And, no, a thousand times, no.

Lies, gerrymandering and rats: "What We Aren't Hearing About West Baltimore".

Some thoughts from a prosecutor on the opioid crisis.

Chuck Schumer, enemy of the First Amendment (and probably of most of the rest of them, too).

Well, you could've knocked me over with a feather: "FBI is implicated in destroying evidence to benefit Clinton".

Hey, it ain't personal, it's just politics...

4 comments:

bruce said...

I had issues when I was a lad. So did my dad who rode around in a leather jacket on a motorbike with his buddies around 1950, until my mum tamed him - he had to burn the leather jacket she said, and get a job! Anyway I learned from him that we get through these stages. He grew up fearing a Japanese invasion, I grew up worrying about 'Fail Safe' and nuclear doom over our heads, then crazy Vietnam looming when I turned 18 (but it was over by then).

I feel for these isolated lost young men now. I wish I could help them. Somehow I got through, but I could have been like that.

Spiny Norman said...

Wild guess here: Chuck-U Schumer-approved "entities" exempt from his backdoor Constitutional Amendment (which is what it is) will include overtly-pro-Democrat "corporations" such as Google, Facebook, Twitter, and of course, all labor unions who contribute to Democrat candidates.

rinardman said...

The First Amendment confirms the freedom to think for ourselves.

Chuck U just wants to make life easier for the deplorables that are too stupid to think for themselves. Let him do all that hard thinking stuff, and everyone will be happy.

bruce said...

As I suspected, I see on Fox News that a lot of these troubled young men didn't have fathers. Not everyone is lucky, mothers do their best, and no aspersions on anyone, but from my experience a boy does seem to miss a sense of continuity with the past, and ways men work through their issues and cope, without a father.