Sunday, December 1, 2019

Random items

#1 Son had surgery on Friday to reconstruct his ACL, and he's doing fine, although he's of no practical use to anyone for the next few weeks. Interestingly, the surgeon used a ligament from a cadaver in the process. I remarked to #1 that it came from a Mr. Bill "Live Grenade" Johnson, who had been shot and killed by police during an attempted armored car robbery. Think I had him going there for a minute.

I mentioned to the surgeon that I had seen an old movie long ago in which, as near as I can recall, a pianist lost his hands in a terrible accident, and a mad scientist sewed on a couple of replacement mitts from a murderer who had been executed, and the pianist started getting the urge to kill people. The surgeon reassured me that #1 was unlikely to suddenly develop an urge to go about randomly kneeing people in the groin. Whew! That's a relief!

Younger Son visited today; he's now working in the construction business. He showed me a couple of souvenirs he pulled from the recent demolition of a very old house (dating back, I believe, to the turn of the last century). Here's a specimen of the nails that were used, made by a local blacksmith back in the day. #2 Son says these babies really hold the wood together, and are very hard to remove.



He also found a tiny sample tin of talcum powder. The tin still has the powder in it, and it still smells faintly sweet.






Whoa, looky here! It's December 1st. Thought I'd do something like a musical advent calendar this year, and to kick things off, here's Mabel Scott from 1948 with the Boogie Woogie Santa Claus.



6 comments:

Spiny Norman said...

I've found old square nails before at an abandoned mining site, but that looks more blade-shaped. Am I seeing that right?

Paco said...

It's thin, but it is actually four-sided.

Veeshir said...

I have a cadaver's pcl.
I just hope his sins don't go on my account.

RebeccaH said...

Best wishes for #1 Son's recovery. Way to troll the kids, Dad, in keeping with the best tradition of fathers and sons.

Watch out for that talcum powder. It'll leap right out and give you ovarian cancer! I have it on the best lawyerly authority.

Paco said...

We're going to keep the talc in a lead-lined safe.

JeffS said...

Best wishes to Son #1 -- surgeries are always something worry about.

I have a number of similar nails, Paco, salvaged from the remains of a barn (built in the 1850s by my great-great-great grandfather [I think I have that right]) after it burned down. Yeah, those are tough nails!