Friday, February 21, 2020

Assortment (non-political)

Brrrr! Pretty cold in Virginia Beach today!



Time to go inside.



You don't have to be a gun nut to appreciate the skill employed in restoring this rusty old Winchester '73 lever action rifle.




I love old videos of street scenes taken back in the day. Here's one which consists of (mostly original color) scenes from New York City in the late 1930s (period-correct music has been used to make a soundtrack). It's fairly long, so I found that the best thing is to just browse.




Here's an "upgrade" of a short sequence that was originally filmed in 1895.


Update: Here's a video of Perth in 1907 (H/T: Gregory):




Irish people taste test Texan food.




You know, I don't think I'd do that.


Well I have been toying with the idea of buying a second home in Arizona.


Love it! A wireless candlestick phone.

10 comments:

Gregoryno6 said...

Here's Perth, city centre, 1907.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DdCiF0V1Ak

Paco said...

Interesting. Looks like there's a lot going on; plus, I've never seen so many straw hats at one time!

Gregoryno6 said...

I can only assume that straw hats were popular because the Akubra company was still in its infancy!

Mike_W said...

Great historical footage, Paco.
Really enjoyed every second of the 1937 New York video; the neon light show was excellent.
There's a funny scene in the Perth 1907 video where a pedestrian is looking at the camera and accidentally walks into another pedestrian; a fist-fight ensues.

Paco said...

Mike: I missed that; I'll have to go back and look.

bruce said...

Irish on chillie: 'We don't have time to cook stuff for hours because it rains all the time'. Yeh like those instant Irish stews which they whip up in a few minutes over a candle flame. Love the Irish, they are my peeps.

Trying to learn the Irish language but I tell you it's way way harder than Chinese (which I can speak, Wo Zhongwen tingdedong, Ni you meiyou?..) - Irish have crazy things like 'slender vowels' which change the sounds around them, ffs. It suddenly hit me a year ago that my grandmother's grandmother could not speak English and had to learn it on the boat coming here, so she could work as a servant girl.

Jonah said...

At about 1:47, at 1:00 is just a stumble.

Deborah said...

Those Irish folks left out what should be considered the state food ... barbequed brisket. Mushroom soup? Never seen it down here. And those accents and mannerisms prove they've never visited here.

JeffS said...

There are similar missile silos for sale up here -- they tend to be fixer uppers. I like a challenge, but upgrading one of those above "austere military" would be expensive, especially considering the need to replace all of the wiring and utilities!

JeffS said...

Regarding the Winchester restoration ... ... a very nice job!

I admit to being surprised -- that rifle fires .22 Short smmunition. I'd forgotten that ammo ever existed. And that's what I shot as a kid.