Wednesday, April 1, 2020

So, how are you all holding up out there?

Governor Cooper of North Carolina has issued his pandemic edict, which mostly just encourages people to stay home, except for trips to the grocery store, the doctor, and for jobs deemed essential (there are many of these, everything from accounting to construction to trucking and so forth). Full disclosure: Mrs. Paco and I are generally a couple of sticks-in-the-mud anyway, so the new rules don't have much of an effect on our routine. I still plan on going to the firing range, where "social distancing" comes pretty naturally to those of us who like to shoot (plus, I'm pretty sure that gun smoke kills coronavirus germs).

Meanwhile, if anybody breaks into our house and manages to get past us to steal our toilet paper, they're going to be in for a letdown.



Update An oldie but a goodie, particularly for these trying times: Rudyard Kipling's poem, If (H/T: friend and commenter, JeffS).

13 comments:

ck said...

I drove out into the west desert this morning. Tried out my new portable shooting table and target stands. It was a smashing success and a beautiful morning. On my way home I saw that the DWR range had reopened, I just happened to have a couple of mags left so I stopped in to see all the guys and shoot a little more. Got brass in the walnut shell shaker and ballistol in all the rifle barrels. Mags are all reloaded, an excellent day all in all.

Paco said...

A perfect day, indeed!

JeffS said...

We're still having winter weather here, snow, small hail, high winds -- plus a (very minor) tornado! But the cold discourages me from shooting. The hands, they ain't what they used to be.

But later this week, come heck or high water.....

bruce said...

Bushwalking. Did a marathon trek yesterday - a track washed out by the rainstorm which followed the firestorm: avalanches, lost count of trees blocking (one chest high I had to crawl under on hands and knees thru mud - thinking what of the guys in 'Nam went thru) and crossing swollen creek over slippery rocks. That's my exercise done!

Also have a hidden cave staked out for when I might need it.

bruce said...

'thinking of what'

smitty1e said...

Learning that home schooling ain't beanbag.

Paco said...

Smitty: No. No it isn't.

rinardman said...

Speaking for all the other introverts out there: Stay at home, avoid crowds, and social distancing?

Oh, you mean live our normal life. No problem.

JeffS said...

Yep, r-man. No problem at all.

Veeshir said...

Yeah rman, this is making my 'I hate people" stance much easier.

I will say that not working sucks a lot more than I thought it would.

AZ shut down for a month so my job shut down for 2 months starting yesterday.

All day yesterday I kept thinking it was Saturday.

Eh, we got TP and water delivered yesterday and we're going camping next week.

Even though I spend every morning trying to figure out some way to avoid going to work that day I really don't want 2 months off.



Deborah said...

Veeshir where are you planning on going? Many campground are closed. Avoid Sedona/Oak Creek. My sister said traffic was backed up. Best wishes on your camping adventure!

Veeshir said...

We're thinking Havasu. My buddy wants a cabin.
I want the desert for three nights with a tent, cooler, bacon,keg and jug of Canadian whiskey.

It will be cool to see London Bridge.

Paco said...

I want the desert for three nights with a tent, cooler, bacon,keg and jug of Canadian whiskey.

I thought you had to die, first, before you went to heaven.