Wednesday, September 30, 2020

I guess I ought to conserve my resources...

...while continuing to add to them, while I can - "Democrat Party Platform: Ban Online Ammo Sales, License All Gun Owners".

The licensing is bad enough, but is also something that one might conceivably dodge; banning online ammo sales would be a huge nuisance. I don't know how much, or even if, any of this would affect reloaders; I don't believe the platform addresses that issue. But the donks will get around to it, mark my word.

Of course, the best medicine for the plague of gun control is to keep the Democrats out of power everywhere we can. If Trump wins, I'm really going to have to focus on stocking up on everything I need over the next four years (beyond four years, the crystal ball grows very cloudy). 

Update  Interesting: "Ruger to Acquire Marlin Firearms". 
After approval from the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama, Ruger released the following statement this evening: Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that its offer to purchase substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets was accepted by Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. and approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama. The Company will pay the $30 million purchase price from cash on hand at the time of closing, which is expected to occur in October.

I believe this can only benefit the Marlin brand, which I have heard has been languishing somewhat under Remington's control. 

10 comments:

Steve Skubinna said...

I have a Marlin 1895G bought before the Remington acquisition. Fine firearm, never had a complaint. Shoot honkin' nasty Buffalo Bore .45-70 magnum loads, 430 grains at about 1900 fps.

Because while you losers are getting ready for the zombie apocalypse, I'm set for the zombie tyrannosaurs!

Paco said...

Nah, that's out, Steve. The Democrats will undoubtedly make the tyrannosaur a protected species.

That Marlin sounds like a fine beast, btw. 45-70...that right there's a bodacious cartridge!

ck said...

It looks like the company that owns Palmetto State Armory and DC Machine is going to buy the ammunition part of Remington. I have a couple of modern Marlins a 336(30-30) and a model 60 (22), they're both excellent rifles, dependable and accurate. I know that Marlin has had some problems but both of mine are excellent.

Veeshir said...

So would I still be able to get a rocket launcher through the gun show loophole?

Spiny Norman said...

45-70? That "elephant gun" territory, isn't it?

That last time I saw that round mentioned, it was by a guy who carried a rifle with that when he went fishing in Alaska, because anything less won't be enough to stop a hungry/angry grizzly bear.

Paco said...

It's a powerful bullet, alright. The Springfield "trapdoor" rifles used by the Army in the 1870s were chambered in this round.

ck said...

That 45-70 must have a bit of recoil. My 30-30 feels like 3 times the kick of my AR10's and the 308 is twice the bullet.

Paco said...

I just went to a couple of online gun sites and saw a Cimarron lever-action in .50-95. I'm thinking massive shoulder bruises.

ck: I have a Marlin 336 (30-30) I bought back in the 80s and it is a sweet, sweet rifle. Old Paco had a Marlin carbine in .32 Special that he bought in the 50s and it was a joy to shoot (somehow my nephew wound up with it. Curses!)

Veeshir said...

I have a customized Winchester 30-30, 94ae, I got used.
It has "1894-1994" on the receiver.
I got some people mad because it was customized. The loop was enlarged a little, the rear sight was changed to peep sight and move to the back of breech so they're as far apart as possible, the furniture is composite and the trigger was modified.
Apparently, you don't modify Winchesters. It also has a leather butt cuff that holds 4 rounds.
I like it though.
When I got it I didn't realize it hadn't even been loaded, much less fired. I scuffed the loading gate a little when I loaded it the first time.

JeffS said...

Spiny, the .45-70 was originally a military round, as Paco implied. It was developed during the Indian Wars in the western US. The Army shifted to .30 caliber in the 1890s.

I don't know that it could stop an elephant. I certainly don't want to experiment! But I've read that the original tests for the change included shooting thick oak planks at 1000 yards ... ... and the .45-70 went clean through.

So, yeah, it'll stop a bear.

I'd hate to shoot it in battle, though; I've fired a replica of the original rifle. A few shots are doable, but hold that butt tight! Several dozen rounds, and you risk muscle damage.