Thursday, December 31, 2020

Assortment

Don Feder on anti-Trump conservatives: "An Army of Envious Dwarfs". I particularly liked the historical context which reminds us that Barry Goldwater was, in some respects, quite the a$$hole:

Goldwater (never the brightest bulb in the pack) was so envious of Ronald Reagan that he supported the senior Bush – a Republican swamp creature -- over the Gipper for the Republican nomination in 1980. That’s how he repaid the man who gave him the only memorable moment of his otherwise lackluster ’64 campaign – the televised address, “A Time for Choosing.”

Not mentioned in the article is something else worth remembering. Goldwater, largely due to his first wife's influence, was strongly pro-abortion, and was instrumental in assisting Planned Parenthood set up its first clinic in Phoenix (note: I had originally accidentally typed "Panned Parenthood"; maybe not so malaprop as it first appears).

Walmart will take our money, but really would prefer not to be seen with us in public.

Mitch McConnell: another "savvy" politician who's just too smart for dummies like the rest of us to understand.

I think we reached the tipping point of brazen lawlessness among judges a long time ago: "Ted Cruz Weighs In On Stacey Abrams' Sister Abusing Her Judicial Power".



Picture from Stilton's Place - "2020: the Year in Rebuke - Part II".

timely observation from Scott Adams.

As Mark Steyn points out, Rep. Swallwell might have been describing his own situation in this exchange with (spit!) James Comey.

2 comments:

ck said...

Happy New Year all!! The barrel came today!! I got new tires put on the Jeep Monday. I'm ready for the snowy/muddy ascent to the range in the morning. A new gun for New Year's day, I love it. My goal is to get it sighted in at 100 in 10 shots, while it's on the chrono. Once I know how fast the factory jobs are flying I can dial my scope out to 300 and then 600. I wanna get on paper at 600 in my first mag (25) but I'm bringing 2. Can't let you get all the new guns Paco.

Paco said...

Curses! One got away!

Went and sighted in my Uberti 1873 Winchester lever-action today; that was fun. What wasn't fun, was when the Beretta 81 I was shooting got something resembling a "fat bullet" jam (live round went part way into the chamber, gun completely locked up, and I couldn't move the slide forward or backward). YouTube showed the way, though; I just had to get a good overhand grip on the slide with one hand and give the butt a few sharp raps on the backstrap. Bullet went right in. When I ejected it, I saw that the the brass had peeled away slightly from the projectile and folded back on itself, thus preventing a smooth insertion into the chamber. This may have been human error, as I was really struggling to get that 12th round into the magazine, and I may have damaged the bullet myself. In any event, at the range, all's well that ends with no bullet wounds, so it was all good.