Monday, December 28, 2020

Show 'em how smart you are!

LOL! Instapundit links to an article that discusses the phenomenon of people buying books to serve as a background for their appearances on Zoom and other video media - and not just any books, but books that underscore their desire to be seen as, say, deep-thinking progressives or devotees of modern philosophy.

I've known for a long time that some bookstores specialize in "decorator" books, i.e., using books as an ornamentation in people's homes (I mean, c'mon; who really is going to plow through the collected works of Voltaire - in the original French?) I wasn't aware of this subset of the business, though, until I saw Reynolds' post. So, you can be a Marxist, for example, and look like someone who's schooled in the subject, without ever reading a word the old fanatic wrote.


"Some people, right?"


6 comments:

bruce said...

Looks like a lot of titles are in Russian, comrade.

Paco said...

I'm so smart, I only buy books in which the words are printed backwards.

Actually, I just discovered today that when you take a selfie, you get a mirror image (or at least, I do).

bruce said...

Ah I suspected as much. But these days you never know! Your books are so neat, mine are in piles around the house. Knowing which pile to look in is the thing.

Gregoryno6 said...

Me, I wouldn't know whether to adorn the shelves with my collection of Pin Ups For Vets Calendars or my Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comics.

Paco said...

Gregory: Ought to be room for both.

Veeshir said...

I see a new business opportunity.
A board with just book spines on it.
It's a lot cheaper and easier to install behind your desk than 500 books.