Friday, September 30, 2022

Pineapple harvested

This morning, we harvested 1 (one) ripe pineapple from a plant that Mrs. Paco planted two or three years ago. They're easy to grow - just cut the top portion of a store pineapple off, complete with leaves, and put it in a pot of dirt (or in the ground if you live in a tropical area). We had no idea how long it takes for the plant to flower and generate a fruit; in fact, we had pretty much given up on the plant flowering, and just kept it on the front porch because the little anole lizards here like to use the leaves as hammocks at night...


But one day, not quite a year ago, we noticed a tiny fruit growing, and it finally matured and turned a nice yellow color. Mrs. Paco harvested it a little while ago (snapped it off its stalk), and cut it up. I tried a piece, and it's delicious: more sweet and less tart than the store pineapple from which it had sprung. 

These home-grown pineapples tend to be considerably smaller than the ones you buy in stores and farmers' markets, but if this one's any indication, they're much tastier. I meant to take a picture of the thing before Mrs. Paco cut it up, but I forgot. She cut the top off, and we're going to start us a new one. 

Update  FYI: You only get one fruit per plant, so you might want to put down several, or as many as you have room for. And it does take between 2 and 3 years for a single fruit to mature, so patience is the name of the game. Mrs. Paco and I gobbled ours up this evening, after chilling the slices in the fridge for a few hours. It had a sweet, delicate flavor, with just a hint of tartness. 

13 comments:

Veeshir said...

That's cool, I'm going to have to try that.
I'll pyobably kill it, but it'll die if I toss the top in the garbage anyway.

tom said...

years ago myfatherinlaw planted a pineapple top in the common area outside his condo... watched it grow, but never got to harvest it... someone else was apparently watching it too!

Paco said...

Pineapple rustlers!

Paco said...

V: I don't see how you can go wrong. Here's a video that covers what you need to know.

They ought to do fine in Arizona, as long as you water them. We kept ours on the front porch, which has southern exposure, but provides some shade at various times of the day.

Paco said...

Oh, one more thing: we put the pineapple plant inside the house during the winter, under a plant light. It is tropical, after all.

JeffS said...

mmmmmmmm ….. pineapple!

Deborah said...

I went to the Dole Plantation several times when we (my family) lived in Hawaii in the '60s. They advised us to sprinkle salt on the slices fresh from the fields because of the acidity. Paco, the acidity was probably lowered by chilling it for a few hours.

Paco, eating home grown pineapple during a tropical storm is bold. Ah, the good life.

rinardman said...

I love fresh pineapple, but growing my own isn't realistic where I live, so I'll have to settle for the more convenient canned variety. With cottage cheese.

Deborah, I mainly buy the Dole brand, but they must not have plantations in Hawaii anymore. Now it comes from Indonesia, the Philippines, Kenya, and Thailand*.

*Pro-tip: Indonesia & the Philippines are the best of these. Avoid the pineapple from Kenya & Thailand. Especially Thailand, unless that's your only choice. In that case, you should avoid it anyway.

Veeshir said...

I was in Kenya in the 80s, for less that a quarter I had a fresh pineapple diced up for me for breakfast near Mombasa.
The best pineapples I've ever had.
Maybe they don't travel well, but they were scrumdiliicious.

Deborah said...

It willl probably need misting in addition to watering. Try it. What have ya got to lose. Home grown produce tastes best. Of course there is the element of pride in successfully growing.

rinardman said...

Paco said it takes 3 years till you get the benefits of your efforts.

I could be dead by then. And I'd be really disappointed.


I dunno, V. Maybe you ate all the good ones when you were there.

Deborah said...

The Plantation is still going strong. It expanded since I visited in the '60s.

Deborah said...

Paco, I hope all the Pacos came through the storm fine. And the little lizards too.