Friday, September 8, 2023

Culling the herd

And I don't mean the bison herd: "Bison Pins Man To The Ground In Yellowstone National Park".

What is it with these idiots who keep aggravating really large mammals? It seems like not a week goes by that I don't hear about some slob getting knocked around by a bison.

Oh, speaking of animals. A few evenings ago, Mrs. Paco and I were walking around the block, when we saw a rabbit running lickety-split out of a neighbor's back yard and across the street - followed closely by a coyote in hot pursuit. Unfortunately, in my excitement, I yelled, "Get him, boy!", and the coyote stopped and stared at me, so the rabbit apparently got away. Note to self: from now on, shaddup and just watch the race.

3 comments:

  1. The last time I went to Texas to visit, I saw a coyote by the side of the road. A mile or so down the road I saw a roadrunner run across the road. Coincidence? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I’m sure he learned a lesson on this one…"

    Maybe. But the species, not so much.

    I spent a lot of time in Jackson Hole, before I retired, maintaining levees along the Snake River.

    The idiots, they are everywhere. Their (unwanted and stupid) interactions with wildlife in Yellowstone is the more spectacular of their boners.

    Sometimes you can't but help being near bison; whilst walking through hot springs -- on a walkway, thus avoiding sink holes -- I turned a corner and found myself 10 feet away from a bison, lounging in the grass. I just walked on quietly.

    It's the idiots who think the world is one big petting zoo that get all the news coverage.

    I mind me of a father and son who "rescued" a bison calf, wandering alone. It was winter, and quite cold, and they thought the calf would freeze. So they stuffed it into their Subaru, and took it to the nearest ranger station.

    Where they were lectured and fined. The calf was put down. Mothers will not accept calves back after being handled by humans. Had they not interfered, the calf would likely have gotten back with the mother. If it had been by bear, well, that's the food chain in action.

    And so on.

    And don't get me started on the Kalifornia Kolonists who turned Jackson Hole into a miniature Kalifornia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it takes years, as in the case of Timothy Treadwell. Others, it happens instantly.

    Nature is not a Disney cartoon. And it sure as hell isn't Zootopia.

    ReplyDelete