Tuesday, October 24, 2023

A walk down memory lane

I was looking through some old file folders in my...Hummel figurine room...and found a sales brochure from the Tamiami Gun store from 1982. I don't believe the place is in existence anymore (as always, click to enlarge).


This page made me kind of wistful. This was back when Colt, H&R and Iver Johnson (the original company, not the one using that name today) were still churning out the handguns. This is all of the page I could capture with my phone camera. 


One thing I notice is that, allowing for the difference in the value of a dollar in 1982 and today (the 1982 $ is equivalent to a little over $3 today), these things were pretty darned expensive. Just look at that S&W Model 629: $999 isn't pocket change today, let alone back in 1982.


I also found a Ruger brochure from 1982 (I believe I had it mailed to me).


And here's the page showing a couple of items from Ruger's "Six" series: the Police Service Six, and the Speed Six. The first handgun I ever bought was a stainless steel Police Service Six in .38 Spl. in 1984. I acquired another Police Service Six in .357 Magnum (used, LEO turn-in), and a Speed Six in .38 Spl. (pre-owned, but purportedly never fired) over the last couple of years. The "sixes" are pretty collectible these days; my favorite gun store recently put four Speed Six revolvers up for sale (on consignment), and I think the cheapest one was $795. They appear to be in mint condition, and come in their original boxes. 


Now, if I can just find that late 19th century color brochure of Studebaker farm wagons...

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, pistol prices certainly haven't dropped in all those years, alas.

    My first pistol was a S&W 9mm automatic, model 39. That was later replaced by a ,45 ACP (a Colt Combat Commander) that I shot to the point that I had to replace the slide lock and the barrel. That's long gone as well ... I sold it at some point.

    Since then, I have purchased no guns.

    No guns at all, y'hear me? NONE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I qualified with pistols, in the Navy, we fired both the 1911 and S&W Model 10. Generally I shot a 1911 until about 2002 but there was one time we used Ruger Security Sixes. I actually liked the Model 10 quite a bit but never got one for myself.

    I do have a Model 28, the so-called Highway Patrolman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeff! You can always go dredging in any number of rivers and lakes. I hear they’re chock full of firearms, has?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Model 28 is a nice-looking handgun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started with the 1911 in the Army and National Guard, Steve. Aside from the wear and tear on the inventory (by then, the Army was looking at 9mm), I found that to be an excellent weapon. Revolvers were strictly a pilot issue back then, none for line units.

    (Interesting story ... ... I once handled a 1911 with a 6 digit serial number in a Guard Armory.)

    Anon, I need to invest in a good strong magnet ....

    ReplyDelete