Sunday, January 28, 2024

Sunday funnies - detective work

If you checked out the Sunday funnies post this week, you probably saw the following, which was included in another video featuring dogs:


It's a short (6 seconds) bit, that is funny in its own right, because of the dog sort of jitterbugging down the sidewalk; however, I was intrigued by the boogie-woogie music in the background, and I wanted to see if I could uncover the whole tune.

I found the original post and went through the comments. The person who put the post up in the first place wrote the catchy but all-too-brief lyrics; I was reasonably certain, though, the music came from somewhere else. I read through the comments and someone identified the music as "Season Boogie". That sounded kind of odd to me, but I did a search on YouTube and, sure enough, couldn't find anything. I considered the possibility that the commenter perhaps meant to type "session" instead of "season, and that turned out to be correct. Here's the full instrumental from which the music in the dog video was taken (the 16-second mark):



I went back to the comments section of the dog post and posted the correct name of the tune. Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to identify the artist. The notes under the YouTube video indicate a release date of 2/12/67, possibly for an LP that was an anthology of rock and roll tunes (from which "Session Boogie" may have been taken), and artist info lists "Alan & Pierce", of whom I can find no trace. There is an Alan Pierce who had a group called the Tonekings back in the very early 60s, but the two recordings I found by that outfit don't sound anything like "Session Boogie". And I'm 99.9% positive the reference is not to one Alan Pierce who plays trombone. 

So, we'll just say "the investigation is on-going" (isn't that the line, FBI Director Wray?)

7 comments:

  1. Detective Paco is on the case! Justice will be served!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can spend an hour scrolling down on those. They must track which ones you watch because I see a lot of the same ones as I go.
    I watch the ones talking about Larry Bird's trash-talking so I see a bunch of them.
    They crack me up.
    He'd tell them what he was going to do before he got the ball, then do it.
    Two dribbles, go left, 3 pointer off glass.
    Inbounds, bounce bounce, step, bank, swish!
    That's funny.

    Good detective work Sr. Inspector Paco!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen several videos about Larry Bird (some video shorts, some longer). I love the expressions on the faces of some of his "foes"; they just smile and shake their heads, as if they're acknowledging Bird as a force of nature. I always knew Bird was an awesome basketball player, but until I watched the videos, I didn't know he was so good at PSYOPS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking from personal experience, Paco, I can say you're only just at the beginning of the rabbit hole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent detection, Mr. Paco sir. In addition to being a WWII tail gunner, oil rig roughneck, perforation engineer (means he built bombs on cables to blow holes in bedrock), and eventual cop, my dad could also play piano, and boogie woogie was his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...my dad could also play piano, and boogie woogie was his favorite.

    Then, amen, amen, I say, he sitteth at the right hand of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete