Monday, April 29, 2024

Springtime at the Paco Command Center (and environs)

Spring is really busting out all over right now. Here are the first cactus flowers of the season:


We're taking special care to protect our plants from various pests this year. Not only am I regularly applying our bootleg deer and rabbit repellant to the plants in the garden - packed with a potent mixture of Patented Anti-Critter Odor- we've also got the berries under netting to protect the fruit from the birds.

Our strawberries, for example:


And our pink lemonade blueberries:


On our evening perambulation today, Mrs. Paco stopped suddenly and gasped. She directed my attention to the sidewalk, and we saw this little fellow basking in the last rays of the setting sun:


That's a harmless corn snake (I think). They eat rodents, so they're quite beneficial.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

Corn snakes are harmless to humans. They're beneficial because the eat rodents, bugs, etc.

The garden is wonderful, Paco! Kudos to you and Mrs. Paco. We had a prickly pear cactus a few years back. It was alarge and a beaut. Unfortunately, a worm took up residence. I forget the name, but it secrets a red substance that is used in cosmetics, and fabrics. We also have a pomegranet bush. It produces very well, and this year looks to be good. Hopefully, we'll finally beat the birds and bugs to the fruit.

Stephen A Skubinna said...

My sister just moved from LA to Palm Desert. She's still in the "There's a, um... a cactus in our yard!" I ask "what kind?" and she said "I don't know!"

I asked if she had any prickly pears and she said "Probably. I guess."

Paco said...

Deb: There's a little pomegranate bush growing a couple of feet from the cactus. Started it from a seed last year.

Stephen: Meh. Not everybody's cut out to be a botanist.

JeffS said...

Nice garden, Paco!

If worse comes to worse, I hear snakes taste like chicken .....