Tuesday, May 28, 2024

And now, a word from our sponsor

 


Kinda sorta related  Had a couple of strange days at the range recently. I've got a colt 1991 Government (80 series) in .38 Super that I bought probably 10 or 12 years ago. I never fired it until last week, and it soon became obvious that the range gremlins didn't want me firing it at all. I had four magazines - two original Colt mags, and two from Mec-Gar - and three different brands of ammo (all FMJ), and the gun experienced a different problem with each brand of ammo (regardless of which mag I used). The Remington UMC cartridges caused the slide to lock up (similar to a fat bullet); the Federal constantly stove-piped; and the PMC Bronze fed ok, but the slide wouldn't lock back after the last round. I figured this has to be the fussiest gun in the world when it comes to ammo. Anyway, I took it home, field stripped it (first time with a 1911; that was a treat), and cleaned and oiled it. Then I reassembled it (an even bigger treat than disassembling it) and carried it back to the range the following day. I also took my EAA Witness - a full-sized, steel construction semi-automatic made by Tanfoglio in Italy; it has never jammed. Three brands of ammo (two of the same as previously, the PMC replaced with a box of Aguila). The Witness performed flawlessly, as it always has. I loaded up the two original Colt mags and the two Mec-Gar mags, and the Colt....also performed flawlessly. Not a single jam, stove-pipe or failure of the slide to lock back on the last round.

So, I'm curious: is it possible that the gun might have been improperly assembled in some way at the factory? Could the recoil spring guide not have been positioned correctly under the barrel? Whatever the problem, it just struck me as bizarre that I'd have a unique problem with each different brand of ammo. 

6 comments:

  1. That's weird, I've never heard of a gun not being assembled right from the factory.
    I cleaned guns this weekend.
    I have a Colt 1991, it has the same disassembly steps as the series 80.
    Yes, taking it apart and back together is a pain.
    I had to read the instructions!
    I cleaned a Sig too. I was going crazy trying to get the pin out to get the slide off. It wouldn't budge, I thought it was bonded because I didn't clean it after two trips to the range.
    Turns out, you rotate it, not pull it out.
    I had to read the instructions for two guns!
    So embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it possible that the gun might have been improperly assembled in some way at the factory?

    Unless you had noticed something improper when you disassembled it, that question may never be answered for sure. My first guess would be that after sitting for 10 or 12 years, it may have needed to be cleaned and oiled before being shot the first time. That is also a question that won't be answered.

    I wouldn't worry about it now, and just enjoy shooting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen A SkubinnaMay 28, 2024 at 10:51 PM

    The Colt thing is weird... since Mexican gangsters have loved the 1911 in .38 Super since, like the Thirties.

    Though I have been in awe ever since you mentioned having a CZ75 clone in .38 Super. That has to be the most gun hipster gun that ever was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. V: I usually just watch a field-stripping video or two on YouTube, but in this case, I watched several videos and read the instructions.

    R-man: I'm planning on taking it back to the range in a couple of days (keeping my fingers crossed).

    Stephen: The EAA Witness is the softest shooter I own, plus it's ultra-reliable and accurate. It's just a barebones Tanfoglio (imported by EAA), but, man, what a pistol! Tanfoglio is still making these pistols (and selling them under the Tanfoglio name, I believe) but the ones I've seen available lately have been mostly competition-level firearms (and, hence, pretty pricey).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and the double-stack 17-round magazines of the Witness are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with r-man -- the 1991 just needed cleaning and oiling.

    I have one as well, but in .45ACP. It's very similar to the 1911, but it field strips exactly the same. Which, for me, is an easy task ... ... do those videos show the trick of how to NOT worry about the spring for the upper receiver?

    ReplyDelete