Monday, October 14, 2024

Happy Columbus Day!

 


Decades ago, I was poking around in an old book shop in Miami, and the store owner, knowing my interest in history, showed me an edition of one of Christopher Columbus' journals. It was in Spanish and had been published in Spain in, I believe, the 18th century, and reportedly had previously been owned by one of Columbus' descendants. I would have loved to add the book to my collection, but it was prohibitively expensive. I believe that was the same day the gentleman showed me a tiny, micro-Bible - its cover was barely larger than my thumbnail - and I promptly dropped it on the floor, where it bounced I knew not where. I was gripped with panic, but, fortunately the owner had momentarily begun chatting with another customer, and I finally found the book before he knew I had dropped it.

4 comments:

  1. We watch that Las Vegas pawn shop TV show here, with the guy named Chumley. Those books remind me of the show.

    Columbus is fascinating because we seem to never know enough about him to be sure. I just read that in all his writings there's no hint of him speaking Italian. And his DNA is more likely Spanish, or Jewish.
    - Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading some 40 + years ago that Columbus was probably Jewish. The dreaded Grand Inquisitor of Spain, Torquemada, was also reputed to have been a descendant of Jews (more specifically, conversos, Jews who had converted to Christianity).

      Delete
  2. ...I promptly dropped it on the floor, where it bounced I knew not where.

    Does this make you a "Bible bouncer", as opposed to a "Bible thumper"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I hasten to point out, an unintentional Bible bouncer.

      Delete