Friday, August 28, 2026

I always thought there was something phony about this vegetable

"The Horrible Truth About the World's Worst Vegetable".

Hilarious:

Thanks to professional carnivore Sama Hoole, I just learned that kale only "became a superfood because a publicist in New York invented a trade association that did not exist."
"Before all that," Hoole continued, "the biggest kale buyer in America was Pizza Hut. Not for the menu. They bought it by the ton, fourteen thousand pounds of it in 2012, and laid it round the salad bar to hide the ice."
Kale, in short, was the stuff they put food on.
"Nobody was meant to eat it. It was the doily."

The only green vegetable I truly enjoy is the green bean. A mess of those cooked in bacon grease, or even chicken bouillon, goes down just fine. I can tolerate lettuce and I can even muscle down cucumbers if I have to. But I tried kale once, and it was the last time.

7 comments:

  1. I never had the desire to try kale -- I heard of it through social media as some sort of wonder food for urbanites, so I avoided it.

    And I say "wonder food" seriously -- at one point, I read of one store which sold out its entire kale supply ahead of a .... blizzard. WTF? Nope, not for me.

    I getcha on not eating greens, Paco, but I do enjoy a wider selection than you. I can't stand spinach (cooked, anyway, raw is OK), broccoli, or asparagus. BLEAH!

    Green beans cooked in bacon grease ... ... YUM! But I enjoy a good salad, not to mention peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be a steak house in Raleigh, NC - it was originally called Steak Masters, then went through an ownership change and became Sebastian's - and I enjoyed their salad bar, because they had shredded bacon and little cubes of ham that I would put on lettuce; actually tasted great.

      Delete
    2. Yes, a good salad NEEDS some form of pork in it.

      That's the law.

      Delete
  2. Cooked spinach looks like something that was picked up after a lawn was mowed just after a heavy rain. Can't abide it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's EXACTLY how my step-mother served it. Ugh! It looked like something I'd avoid stepping on.

      We finally compromised by my eating it raw. Not bad by itself, better in a salad.

      Delete
  3. I have never knowingly eaten kale, and from the description, I'm sure I would have noticed something.

    I do eat traditional veggies every day: peas, carrots, green beans, sweet corn all good.

    Broccoli, not just no, but hell no! I'm one of those people who can't stand cruciferous vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must weigh in here, because I do like my green stuff, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like meat. I do. But I need occasional green stuff to keep the internal food to end production pipeline working, especially now at my advanced age. I grew kale one season (buying into the superfood propaganda for a while), but could ably eat it with sufficient spices, red pepper and vinegar you would put into collard greens. Nowadays, romaine, carrots, red cabbage, tomatoes, chopped onions, and chopped sweet peppers, with an occasional broccoli floret, do the job. I don’t like to cook anymore. I also like potatoes, that reliable life savior, but not as much anymore. Fruit, we won’t talk about them anymore. My life philosophy has become, eat what you like, don’t eat what you don’t like. Nobody’s going to care after you’re dead.

    ReplyDelete