Told by historian (and historical detective) Mark Felton.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"There are countless horrible things happening all over the world and horrible people prospering, but we must never allow them to disturb our equanimity or deflect us from our sacred duty to sabotage and annoy them whenever possible." -Auberon Waugh
The clean up (in all senses of the word) from WWII got really odd. And some of it never was finished. Those coffins had to be a real pain in the rear for the American occupation forces.
ReplyDeleteThe video mentioned caches; we were still finding weapons caches in Germany back 1982; I never did, but as engineers like to dig, we were carefully briefed on what to do if we found one. I never did, but one of my squad leaders did, and his description was stunning. Especially the response from the polizei.
And then there were the bunkers under Nuremberg; in 1982, they were still filled with vehicles and supplies. But no one went down there, as everything was booby trapped ; shining a flashlight, you could see trip wires everywhere.
So I wasn't too surprised at seeing that the Nazis had stuffed all those munitions down in the salt mine. Wowsah!
Interesting background info, Jeff. I imagine it was, indeed, dangerous work "cleaning up".
Delete