Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Gettin' old

I used to remark that I felt old age creeping up on me; lately, though, it seems to be chasing me across an open field with a pitchfork.

One resolution I have made is to lose weight. My doctor thinks it's because I want to be more conscientious about taking care of myself; in reality, I just want to be able to fit into one of my suits in case I have to go to a wake or funeral or something (not my funeral or wake, I hasten to point out; my instructions are just to drag my earthly remains outside to the edge of the property and cover it with some brush. Plain old bib overalls ought to be sufficient to preserve my modesty).

Anyhow, I have been taking this business seriously for the last six weeks or so. I cut out all snacking, eliminated sugary drinks, eat sensibly, take at least two long walks a day and do exercises every day. So far, I have lost about 20 pounds. According to the Body Mass Index, if I lose another 30, I'll be merely "overweight" as opposed to "obese". So, "yay", I guess. 

Seems to be having some good effects. I do have more energy, and my blood pressure has generally been in the normal range. It's a frustratingly slow process, however. Although I've lost some weight, my...configuration, I guess you'd call it...although noticeably improved, still does not enable me to get into any of my old suits. 

At least my hats still fit.

14 comments:

  1. You have my sympathies. I need to embark on a similar effort, but haven't had the discipline to stick with a diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's any encouragement, I've come down to about 85kg from 100kg mid-2025. I'm aiming to reach 70-75 by the end of next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work, Paco!

    My BMI has been hovering between 22 and 24 over the time since I learned about BMI. But, I'm a Barney Fife body type, so that's not surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So that's where that extra weight came from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade biscuits probably contributed right much.

      Delete
  5. Well done Paco. I'm stuck on around 220 pounds. Can't seem to get below that number which is 40 pounds over my fighting weight. I have been told to skip the occassional chocolate mud cake, but hey, it's a hill I'm prepared to die on, literally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish you hadn't mentioned chocolate mud cake...

      Reminds me of a time when I was dining at a restaurant somewhere in Florida - Jacksonville, I believe - and they had a dessert on the menu called Mississippi Mudcake or Mudpie or something similar. It was about half a quart of coffee ice cream mixed in with chocolate cake. Decadent, is what it was. When I get down to 210 or so, I might allow myself a slight indulgence. Not the mudcake; that's like screwing a cork into your aorta. But maybe something a little less opulent. Perhaps a slice of apple pie with caramel on top (I think I just gained three pounds thinking about it).

      Delete
  6. Apple pie, caramel. I have never mixed those two sins. Give me a day or so and I'll get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma Paco used to make a yellow cake and frost it with melted caramel. Sometimes her efforts were frustrated because...er...someone got hold of the bag of Kraft caramel squares and ate most of them.

      Delete
  7. I recommend drinking a lot of water (6-8 glasses per day) and cutting out sodas. The weight loss goes in steps. You lose a lot, then plateau, then lose more, then plateau, etc.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes. I have taken to drinking a lot of water, and I have cut out sodas, iced-tea, lemonade, and so forth. I've noticed that my weight does trend lower in plateau-fashion, as you mentioned.

      Delete
  8. Good for you, Mr. Paco sir! I have no advice to give as my weight loss belongs to my inability to eat very much, but I do recommend treating yourself every rare once in a while to forestall obsessive craving. If you’re limiting your meal portions, you’ll be amazed at how little of the treat you actually want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did me in, I think, was those late-night snacks. I absolutely love peanut butter, and I frequently made peanut butter crackers an hour or so before going to bed. I've given that up, and so far I haven't had any real bad cravings. But when I drop another five pounds, I believe I'm going to celebrate by making myself a double-decker peanut butter and honey sandwich.

      Delete
  9. Good for you, Mr. Paco sir! I don’t have any advice to give, as my weight loss belongs to my inability to eat very much. But I do recommend treating yourself every rare once in a while just to forestall obsessive craving. If you’ve been limiting your meal portions, you’ll be amazed at how little of the treat you actually want.

    ReplyDelete