Friday, June 13, 2008

Salute to Australia

Tim Blair is my blogfather, and I’m proud to claim him as such. He created a unique cyber-community where Australians and Americans could find areas of mutual interest, and his comment section was the most fun place in the blogosphere (and still is, of course; he has moved here). Because I got my start in blogging through the indulgence and encouragement of Tim, I feel an obligation to continue building bridges of goodwill with my Australian friends.

Now, I’ll be the first to admit that my knowledge of the Australian political system is rather limited. If you were to tell me that the Prime Minister is chosen by putting the chiefs of the major parties in a cock-fighting pit and having them pummel each other with stuffed platypuses until only one was left standing, I’d be reluctant to venture the opinion that you were pulling my leg. But there are definitely things about Australia that I think I’ve got a handle on and that are worthy of admiration.

Cricket
I had always been under the impression that cricket was played by men dressed like male nurses employed by an asylum for the criminally insane, and that the matches went on for days, with occasional breaks for tea and cucumber sandwiches. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the game is actually played by beautiful women in bikinis, like this lovely young corn-fed girl:


I certainly hope that the matches go on for days!

Diggers
Steadfast in friendship, implacable in opposition, these are the kind of “blokes” that you want to have beside you when you're in a tough spot:


Fauna
How can you not love a country where, in creating the animals, God let his sense of humor run wild. Behold, the bandicoot!


Let’s face it: every right-thinking American (that’s you and me) would gladly pick Australia as his or her adopted home. So, hat’s off to our friends “down under”!

8 comments:

RebeccaH said...

Amen, Paco! I'm still hoping to get there someday for a visit.

Anonymous said...

Poor Lara, silly girl should have gloves on. Not to mention anything about a box...

(I believe you Yankee folk call them 'cups')

Anonymous said...

Well well. Them's a lovely lot of words and I dips me lid to each and every one of them. On the basis that the sentiment is reciprocated 100% from this neck of the woods. Best wishes to the wonderful nation that is the United States of America.

Mehaul of Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.

TimT said...

Cheers Paco! Here's a little more background info on Australian animals you may not have known about...

Anonymous said...

Nice words about our lovely country. Thank you. I'm an admirer of the people of the USA. I think they are a force for good in the world.

Anonymous said...

Never let it be said you don't understand the attraction of cricket.

Cheers Paco! And God bless America.

saint
D@B

Anonymous said...

Cricket is a great game, but it's far more fun to play than to watch. Everyone gets a few sheets to the wind, no one can catch the bloody ball except whichever kids are playing, best of luck trying to hit the thing when you've had a few, and making runs is damn near impossible.

The Diggers are amongst the best men I've ever met, because they've all got a great sense of humour and they're well trained and not at all afraid of a bit of hard work.

As for animals, don't forget the hopping mouse or the quokka.

Anonymous said...

I've visited Oz many times since 1982 (not on my own dime - I have a rich uncle who sends me around the world) and have enjoyed it every time, even when going to the places other Aussies laugh about (like, say, Darwin). There's a lot for Americans to connect to in Oz, especially if you're from the western part of the US.