Monday, July 21, 2008

Alberta the Beautiful



I just saw a great western on the A&E cable channel: Open Range, starring Robert Duval and Kevin Costner (2003). A fine story about loyalty, honor and redemption, with some splendid acting; however, the real star of the movie seemed to me to be the location. I cannot remember the last time I saw such breathtaking scenery: those high green hills, and the biggest, bluest sky in the world. The movie was filmed on location in Alberta, Canada, which is a place I hope I'm privileged to see some day.

6 comments:

kc said...

I lived in southern Alberta for 3 years when I was a kid, made regular trips to Calgary & Canmore to see the doc & family friends. Open Range has been one of my favorite movies for several years, for the same reasons you give. Living here in the swamp just isn't the same.

Anonymous said...

I did a hiking trip through Glacial National Park once, which included a stay in Waterton, Alberta. Gorgeous country, indeed.

Anonymous said...

PS:

And the movie was excellent as well!

Anonymous said...

Other westerns filmed in Alberta:
"Legends of the Fall"
"Brokeback Mountain"
"Unforgiven"

SwampWoman said...

I loved Open Range and the scenery, too.

Can't stand the cold, though.

Minicapt said...

... there goes the neighbourhood!

Oh, and what cold?

Cheers
JMH